AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to burn a standard DVD with files from my RTV5080. I move the files with DVArchive, edit with reVue/RTVEDIT, and finally prepare for DVD with RTVCONVERT.

The resulting MPG files are dropped into Nero Vision Express. The files import without error. I create a menu, and the "Preview" function in NVE allows me to play each video clip. This all works perfectly.

Then I proceed to the DVD burning phase. This also completes without errors. It performs a transcoding process, which may be unnecessary from what I have read here, but I don't see any way to keep it from happening.

Finally the DVD is burned. This seems to happen too fast. I have over 4G of content, and the burning takes about 6 minutes on a LiteOn LTR811S at 2.4X write speed.

No errors are reported by Nero.

The resulting DVD will not play on the computer using Nero's Showtime, or the PowerDVD application. The DVD menu is displayed correctly, any attempt to play the video program is ignored. It will not play in a DVD player either. Attempting to directly open any of the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder gives an error "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".

Something is wrong, but it is not clear to me what the problem is, or what to do about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional information:

Here is a section from the Nero log file (over 900K of text). There is an unexplained "internal error" at the end of the transcoding process right before burning starts.

....snip.........

[13:02:24] DVDEngine ...file: 'VIDEO_TS\\VTS_04_0.BUP' (VTSI), start = {undefined}, size = 26.0 KB (13 LBs)

[13:02:24] DVDEngine **END: _DVDVideo - Fill FileSystemDescContainer

[13:02:24] DVDEngine ...layer switch = {none}

[13:02:24] DVDEngine END: IDVDVideoSessionImpl - GetDiscContent

[13:02:24] DVDEngine BEGIN: DVDSessionBase - RegisterCallback

[13:02:24] DVDEngine ...Session callback unregistered...

[13:02:24] DVDEngine END: DVDSessionBase - RegisterCallback

[13:02:24] NeroAPI DVD-Video files sorted
[13:02:24] NeroAPI Internal error

[13:02:28] NeroAPI Caching of files started

[13:02:28] NeroAPI Caching of files completed

[13:02:28] NeroAPI Speed measurement started

[13:02:28] DVDEngine BEGIN: _VOBS - Write

[13:02:28] DVDEngine ...type of VOBS = VMGM_VOBS

[13:02:28] DVDEngine ...pos = 0 Bytes...

[13:02:28] DVDEngine ...size = 92,160 Bytes...

[13:02:28] DVDEngine ...creating NV_PCKs and writing VOBUs...started

[13:02:28] DVDEngine ...creating NV_PCKs and writing VOBUs...done

[13:02:28] DVDEngine END: _VOBS - Write

[13:02:30] DVDEngine BEGIN: _VOBS - Write

[13:02:30] DVDEngine ...type of VOBS = VTSTT_VOBS

[13:02:30] DVDEngine ...pos = 1,073,739,776 Bytes...

....snip.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you tried burning it to a folder on your hardrive first? I had a lot of trouble with Nero Vision and did a lot of experimenting to get it right. My problem was a little different - Nero would report my burn size would be around 4GB and then it would tell me I didn't have enough disk space.

The steps that finally worked for me were to first set the audio to AC3 - if you have a medium quality source then it only appears to re-encode the audio and goes MUCH faster than the LPCM. Then I have it burn the project to a folder on my computer - that way I can verify the audio is still synced and everything is correct without making a coaster and I can verify Nero didn't blow up the file size. Finally I burn the VTS folder to disc and I'm done.

I also noticed that Nero has been updating their programs a lot in the past few months. Updating solved a lot of my quirky little problems.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I hope it helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The only way I've been able to get a working DVD from NeroVision is to write to a folder and then use Nero Burning ROM burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD-Video.

If I have it burn directly to my burner or to Image recorder...it only writes out 1G. The TOC and menus looks right though....

But, at least it makes it now....when I first got Nero, NeroVision would take hours and hours to transcode and then report some error and die. I reported that to support and first they had me upgrade versions twice...and then they just said that my source video is probably bad and to try something else.

Of course, I don't know if that's actually true though...since now that I'm playing with it again....I have had several more patches, and I used Womble on my latest set of files.

The Dreamer

·
Registered
627 Posts
make sure you download the latest version. It was released only a few weeks ago, so if you didn't update in the last month, then go download it :)

I had a lot of problems with NVE before I upgraded to the new version (free upgrade if you purchased).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tim, I also ran into a lot of troubles using Nero Vision Express (NVE) but my recordings were saved using Standard resolution, which would ALWAYS re-encode in Nero. Latest work I have done (with good success so far) was to run the RTV video through the RTVTools (I use the ReVue GUI also seem in this forum so cannot say what steps it does to the files first) to split out (DeMux) the video and audio into separate files. Next I Re-combine the separate files into a DVD compatible MPG file (I use mplex which comes along with the free package DVDAuthor ) so that the VOB markers are inserted (little fuzzy my self on this one, but it works). Lastly I have been preparing the DVD "image" including chapters, menus and multiple titles using the DVDAuthor (URL above) program. Once the folders are created and ready to be burned, I open Nero Express and drag/drop the files into the correct folder and burn away. So far this method has created DVDs playable in standalone players and the best thing is the standard mode videos do NOT get re-encoded (which used to take 8-10 hours depending upon their size).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am using the latest versions and updates downloaded from the Nero site. (NBR 6.3.0.2 NVE 2.1.0.4)

I thought the whole purpose of the Nero 6 Ultra Edition software was to be a DVD authoring and burning program. From what everybody has said, it sounds like Nero is broken, and lots of trial and error and work-arounds using other software is required.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Once I upgraded, NVE works great for me burning Medium quality RTV files to DVD.

I haven't tried standard or high quality, I purposely record medium quality so that I don't have to transcode.

NVE is a pretty new product, it probably does have some bugs that need to be worked out.

PS: I run my medium quality shows through RTVCONVERT before burning with Nero.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got a response from Nero tech support. They confirm that there is a problem with Nero Video Express 2.1.0.4 by saying that the release next month should fix the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.