AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime between 11:00 PM and 12:05 AM last night, my cable box--an SA 2000HD provided by TWC of Lincoln, NE--decided to stop responding to channel changes, and indeed all remote commands. This caused problems with my TiVo recording the wrong shows because the box never changed channels. (One was an eagerly awaited repeat of an episode missed due to the WTC event.) In order to get it working again, I had to disconnect the cable box from its power and reconnect.

I've had this happen two other times in my presence, but they were apparently triggered by trying to change channels too quickly while the box hadn't received data on what was on that channel, and always in those cases the channel bar was frozen on the screen.

Anyone know what the code br.02 on the clock panel of this box means?

------------------
http://www.war-of-the-worlds.org/tivo/HTHb.gif

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
HTH,

Not sure what br02 actually means but it's happened many times on both SA2000HD boxes I've had(1st box died after 5 months use). All I know is it's a software bug. As you did I just unplug it then plug it back in. It's a pain but according to the TWC tech there's no fix as of yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was lucky that they had another box available. Unfortunately that one had heat problems that caused unacceptable problems with analog channels. I was able to resolve the problem for awhile by pointing a fan directly at the box. I've exchanged yet again today.

If this keeps up, they're going to run out of presumed-good boxes and I'll have to downgrade to a standard definition box.

------------------

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, having gone through 4 high-definition cable boxes from TWC of Lincoln, I've gone back to a plain digital 2100 box.

I'm told that br.02 is a signal strength problem. While I was on my third box, I had them test my signal and I was way low. They replaced my splitter with a "digital splitter" and replaced the splitter in the basement of the apartment. But my fourth box again had problems. Luckily it got the br.02 error which means it stayed on, and it was still on the right channel to record, and I caught it before I missed yet another episode of Dark Angel.

Strangely enough, the problems seem to occur mostly on Friday afternoons, be it the box getting an internal error and switching off, or these br.02 errors. I strongly suspect that something is wrong with the TWC Lincoln network here and they're putting something out on the lines Friday afternoons that is killing the 2000HD boxes.

I would not recommend these 2000HD boxes for any purpose that requires them to be powered on at all times, such as use with a PVR like a ReplayTV or TiVo. They aren't reliable enough even to maintain power to any connected device. For the occasional viewing of one of the two HDTV channels TWC provides, they should be adequate, but only when a true HDTV signal is present. Aspect ratio is off for NTSC signals, resulting in black bars on the left and right on a 4:3 HDTV w/o HSYNC and VSYNC inputs.

And TWC-Lincoln charges a dual-receiver surcharge on top of the second box rental if you get both a digital and a HD box.

------------------

"[E]ven the unauthorized home time-shifting of... programs is legitimate fair use."

-- Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.