AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hooked up my SDX-15 with no box to test it and I have almost no sound coming out. I can feel the cone moving and I can hear very soft sounds but it's definitely not right. I have the sub out on my receiver going to an art cleanbox then from that into my CE1000 amp and then to the woofer. I tried running it with one voice coil and I tried wiring it in series and it's the same. I also tried riunning the sub off the plate amp in my old JBL sub. There is no difference in output between the 100 watts form the JBL and the 900 watts from the Crown amp. Can anyone tell me how else to test this woofer?

I just tested it with my multimeter and I am getting 6.4 ohms when it's wired in series and 3.2 ohms on each set of binding posts.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Do you have the sub enabled in your receiver?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Is the cone moving a good bit?

If yes it is called FREE AIR...and the cancellation effect is at work.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Test it with a known good cd player. Insert rca's into the amp and go from there. Slowly turn up the gain and see what happens.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so I hooked up my ipod to the amp and it works fine.... I also hooked a set of wires from my speakers into the sub with no luck though.... huh?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Do a resistance test with an ohmmeter.

If not, try a battery... to see if it reacts to that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already did a resistance test in my first post and I just put a battery on it and it reacted like a speaker with a battery on it. I also put the output from my computer into the cleanbox and it was normal, so I think my receiver is doing something funny....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yep..it's sounds as your receiver is doing something funny... try resetting it... or unplugging it from the wall for a few seconds.

I know with my receiver ,when I set the LFE on I have to press 'enter' if not it doesn't catch on.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
1) Something is up with your receiver.

2) something is up with your SDX. 3.2 Ohm across one coil and 6.4 across both isn't right. It should be around half that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You won't hear anything fyi, you'll feel it with your ear up close... those lows without a box just don't really happen.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still haven't got this figured out yet.... Can someone give me a bit of help? I have the sub mounted in the box and in place now, but my amp isn't getting a signal from my receiver. I have the sub pre-out from my receiver into my art cleanbox and then out to the amp and then through to the sub. I am getting sound when I bypass the receiver but I can't even get a pink noise signal from the receiver to show up. It works fine on my old jbl sub. I have tried doing a hard reset on the receiver with no luck either. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I would go to Future Shop get a new receiver and test it.

Return the receiver after the test.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Dude /forum/post/14265121

I think I got it working now... I unhooked everything and re-wired it and it's working now for some reason.

Gotta love it. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts