AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought me a Sharp Aquos LC32D4OU LCD for Christmas. I hadn't researched HD sets because I wasn't really interested in jumping in until things had gotten more standardized and the prices came down, but I opened this because it was her Christmas gift to me.

When I hooked it up, I was shocked at how awful everything looked. The analog signals were markedly worse than my 6-year Toshiba CRT, and fast-moving objects left trails. Faces seemed to float independent of their bodies on TV shows. There were artifacts everywhere, which made the picture look noisy in general.

I tinkered around with the settings using the THX optimizer found on the DVD for The Incredibles, and it got better, but aside from the few HD stations I get (I went and got an HD box from Cox, which is hooked up via component), the rest of the channels just generally look like crap.

So I went and swapped it out at the behest of the Sharp CSR, and lo and behold, this one is even worse and has a couple dead/stuck pixels to boot. So now I'm thinking of taking it back (yet again) and swapping it out for the Samsung LC3251-D, which seems to be a very well-regarded set here on the forums. But before I do, I have some questions that you all might be able to help with.

First, is it possible that I'm just being too picky? I've had nothing but CRT before, and I'm wondering if the limitations of LCD are just too many to please someone who does all their gaming and viewing on a CRT.

Second, I've heard really disconcerting things about this set from Sharp, namely that the panel isn't even made by Sharp, but a company in Thailand called Orion. I don't know if the rumor is even true (the Sharp rep vehemently denied it, but she also said the TV was made in China, when the packing slip clearly shows Thailand), and even if it IS true, whether it's me being too picky or if it could be the set. I mean, I've been through two of these, and walked away underwhelmed each time on nearly every level from cable to DVD. Games look somewhat improved, but even they suffer from some weird visual flaws that I've never seen on a CRT. Is the Orion rumor true, and if so, is it an issue?

The Samsung I'm thinking of swapping for only has one component in, which is flat unacceptable for a gamer. I have three components that need to be run in and two HDMI, so I need a switch. Any recommendations here? I bought a Psyclone Source Selector last night, but haven't hooked it up because I want to get the TV resolved first.

Finally, any opinions in general about my dilemma would be welcome. I'm really curious to hear feedback from people with experience with the Sharp and the Samsung. Is the Samsung a good gaming TV? Are there any issues with it that might steer me elsewhere? Am I even a good candidate for LCD?

Sorry about the long post, and any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
On some cable boxes, you can chose to output in native format (versus 1080i, 720p or 480i). If you can't do that, then I suggest connecting a composite cable from the cable box to your TV. I have a viewsonic that does the same thing with non-HD channels (DISH network), I switch to the composite input and resolves the problem with smearing....

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Basically this is a very good set. I have several friends with this model and the analog picture is very good. I found in setting them up that component gives a very good picture and made very little change from the factory settings. Sounds like your signal may not be good or perhaps a bad set up. In my opinion the SD picture is as good or better on my 37" Sharp than on my 34" Sony HD CRT. I would look for some other reason than the set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.