AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a few problems with my new Sony AVD-S50ES (ES Series DVD/SACD/Receiver Combo):

1. Subtitles will arbitrarily turn on without any input from remote. Seems to happen when switching to the second layer sometimes. Also sometimes defaults to ON after inserting a new DVD.

(Note...this seems similar to a Dream System issue I've read about, but I've found nothing documenting any problems with this receiver).

---

2. This one is more difficult to explain. After initially turning the unit on, progressive component output is horizontally stretched, causing approximately the rightmost 1/5 of the image to be cut off.

The image is not shifted...it is actually stretched. When you look at the THX circle calibration test, for example, it is slightly elongated (and off center to the right)...and the borders on the right side of the image are not visible, but the borders on the left are properly aligned on the left side of the screen.

Now here's the unusual part. If I switch the unit to interlaced, and then back to progressive, everything is displayed properly. But if I then turn the unit off and back on, the problem returns. This obviously makes it very difficult to ever try to configure the system to a final state.

---

I already have a call into a Sony service center about these issues and they seem to know nothing about either of them. I was hoping someone else might be using this unit and be able to confirm if they have had similar problems (or no problems at all), so that I can know if these are problems with my specific unit or all of them

Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone is interested, my problems with the AVD-S50ES were specific to the unit. I swapped it for a new one (manufactured in October 2002) and both problems went away.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How does the unit sound? There don't seem to be many reviews out there for either SONY's AVD-S50ES or AVD-C70ES unit. I'm primarily interested in the new technology that SONY is employing which completely circumvents the analog passthrough between SACD and amplifier...

-wolf

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, better late than never: I've had an AVD-C70ES for about two weeks now and absolutely love the sound! It's connected to a set of Boston Micro 9000 II home theater speakers with a 120 watt subwoofer. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.