AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me if this has been asked, but I ran into a problem with Superman Returns (HD DVD) on the first time I tried to watch it and was wondering if I was the only one or if this is a known issue.

About one hour and one minute into the movie, Superman drops the girl off at the hospital, she tells him "Call me Katherine" and then the picture and sound both start skipping and stuttering (not sure how else to describe it). The picture becomes smooth again after several seconds and then the audio does, but afterwards they're out of sync.

I was eventually able to get the picture and sound to sync back up, but only after I went into the scene selection and started play from the start of the next scene. The rest of the movie played fine. I didn't notice any scratches on the disc when I looked.

I'm running an HD-A2 with the DD+ track over optical.

Anyone else run into this or something like it?

·
Hello, World!
2,512 Posts
Superman Returns was the first and only disc that has caused me problems during viewing with my HD-XA1 (2.0 firmware). 4 times during the movie I had to start and stop the disc because the image froze up. On one of the occasions I had to reboot the player to get a response. I also had to skip one chapter because it stuck every time at the same scene (during the chapter when Supeman is looking into Lois's house)

Mark

·
Registered
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrowley /forum/post/0

This is caused by a widely reported manufacturing defect and you should return

your disc for an exchange.

Mark

Where can we get more info about the return. mine freezes on the chapter where Supes drops her from flying and when she comes down everybody is eating burritos.

Jorge

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have experienced the exact same problem in exactly the same place in the movie, on the HD-A2 as well. As described, it starts to stutter, then afterwards, the sound is out of sync. The only way I was able to watch the rest of the movie is to move past that part...

I was hoping it was just my disc...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same problem here, too. I bought my copy just three days ago, so I'm not sure if exchanging it would be worth the trouble. I tried to clean off the surface and checked out that section of the disc yesterday, and it appeared to be okay now, but who knows if that will last.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had the same issues and returned it to the store 4 times. Follow the advice below. I sent mine to them about a week ago. It would have issues one day and then the next it would play fine, I don't want to take any chances so I sent it in.

From warner Brothers online

15. I purchased a defective DVD - I returned it for a replacement but the replacement is defective as well. What can I do?

Please return the product to us so that our technical department can review it. Please note that the DVD must be returned in its original case. If you are returning a box set, you must also send the whole box set back. Please return to the following address: Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd., Burbank, CA 91522: Attn: Business Affairs. Once the product is received and reviewed someone will be in touch. Please remember to include your contact information.

17. Can I send a defective DVD I purchased at a retail outlet to you if the outlet will not accept it as a return?

Please return the product to us so that our technical department can review it. Please note that the DVD must be returned in its original case. If you are returning a box set, you must also send the whole box set back. Please return to the following address: Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd., Burbank, CA 91522: Attn: Business Affairs. Once the product is received and reviewed someone will be in touch. Please remember to include your contact information.

18. I've returned the defective DVD that I purchased at a retail outlet back to Warner Home Video - when can I expect a replacement?

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've just played my replacement copy and it freezes in exactly the same spot.

Plus, when I try to re-start and select the following chapter it still freezes.

It's actually worse than my last copy.

I probably won't bother returning it again. It's just not worth the hassle.

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not going to bother returning mine either. What really bothers me is that it's my favorite disc! I get chills when I hear the theme music. I guess I'll just have to learn to live without a few minutes of the movie (although I played it again last night while testing out my new speakers, and it didn't stutter through that section).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Why don't you return it to Warner Bros and they will hopefully give you a non defective disc? SR is one of my favorite movies on HD DVD that I own and I couldn't stand dealing with freezing, skipping, etc. Just hoping that the next time I want to sit down and watch the flick it plays without any hiccups.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I had to return my disc three times. It wasn't until the 4th copy that I got a good disc.

Why the heck wouldn't you keep returning it until you get one that works? Of course, it is best to wait a while between "returns" so that the possibility of getting a disc from a new shipment (and maybe a new manufacturing run) is greater.

But if you don't want that hassle, return it directly to Warner Brothers. And don't let them off the hook if the new copy has the same problem. You paid good money for the player and the disc. Don't accept something that doesn't work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the original disc back to the store and exchanged it for a new one. I've tried playing the particular problem scene a couple times now and so far it has played just fine.

I haven't watched the movie all the way through again, so until I do, I won't know if I have a different problem or another bad scene like some of you have. In the meantime, a spot check now seems to let me past the part where she says "Call me Katherine".

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I tried watching mine last night for the first time also. Mine freezes when they're on top of the Daily Planet building and he's about to take off with Lois. Problem is up here there are almost no copies of the movie I assume because of the same problem. One store 40 minutes away has three copies, but I really suspect they're first run discs with the same problem. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.