AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I just joined up here, and I got a toughie for you all :)

I recently purchased a sony VPH-1020Q1 off of eBay, and I set it up in my room to find the image way too blue. After fiddling with the tint/color knobs (didnt really fix it), I braved the radiation spewing out the front and stared into the tubes with a test pattern up. On the red and green tube, the background is completely dark except for the registration hatch. The blue tube however, is illuminated throught the background at about 50% intensity, and the hatch is there but blurry.

Is there some way I can adjust the brightness/contrast for each individual tube (to the n00b it seems like a way to fix it)? Is there something fundamentally wrong with the blue tube? Should I try to return the unit?

Thanks folks!

~Matt

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Yes, as looking from the back of the set, on the right side (on teh side of the projector) there is a plastic block with six plastic knobs sticking out of it. If you look closely, these are labelled 'focus' and 'screen'.

The focus controls do the obvious, the screen controls are the G2 or master brightness controls. Turn the color control all the way off and adjust the a good B/W picture.

Note that on these older sets, you might actually consider sacrificing some black level for additional brightness, as these sets were never too bright to stat with.

(Imagine that, A CRT tech offering information on how to get closer to an LCD picture..:)

CUrt

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You have to take the whole cover off.

Marc

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have a look at this site: http://www.eboyztoyz.net/1031q/pages/1031Q_Picture.htm

It refers to sony 1031q setup, but you'll find that much of the info there is relevant to your projector too.

Be careful with the G2 adjustments - if you crank them up to high you can damage you tubes, apparently.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.