AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I promised to register www.dScaler.com and www.dScaler.org a while ago... This job is in fact done but the damn thing is not live because I made some poor choices.

Simply put, I wanted to reward a free service (webhost) provider I have used in the past by finally giving a little bit of $$ back to them via these domain registrations... Unfortunately the 'service' level of this is well beyond a joke...

The domain was registered on the 10th of this month and I cannot get them to do anything about resetting the CNAME record to point to the virtual host at usw-pr-vhost.sourceforge.net as instructed by Dan.... They have no domain control panel like any domain registering service I have used before but of course you dont find this out until after you have registered and signed on (live and learn)...

I have emailed every day, often twice a day, to each email address I can find their site and as yet have had one response with a snotty comment that it can take up to 72 hours to reply to email (this is after writing to them for 5 days !!!)... I have threatened to contact the CC company (but dont know where this would leave me with domain ownership ???) begged, pleaded, etc, etc...

First of all sorry !! I took this upon myself and because of this breakdown of communication it is delayed (I hope not until the next release but ??) and secondly if anyone (everyone http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) wants to email them perhaps they will see how much easier it would be just to set the CNAME rather than continue to screw around for another week....

The email addresses I have found so far are...

[email protected]

[email protected]

The website is https://register.xoasis.com/ but I cannot connect internationally to the toll free number listed as 1-877-704-8525

The only time I received response was after emailing the advertising email (coincidence ?? I think not) but I have also culled the following from the site now...

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

p[email protected]

[email protected]

A WHOIS gives [email protected] as the Technical Contact....

I would suggest something like the following...

===================================

FAO Domain maintenance dept,

The Domains dscaler.com and dscaler.org where registered with you on the 10th of this month...

You have been requested by email, on many separate occasions, to all available email addresses, to modify the CNAME properties of these domains to point to the virtual host at usw-pr-vhost.sourceforge.net

This is a normal service request and should not take a full week with only a single reply to the tens of emails you have been sent...

Your inactivity is slowing the dScaler community from continuing to promote itself and as such I am taking an interest and requesting you to make these changes as well as the owner of the domain...

========================================

With some luck a volume of email may do what I have not been able to achieve with the 10 -20 emails I have sent so far... If anyone can connect to the toll free number please do so, I cannot connect via international call...

Again Apologies......

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Phat: no problem. No use spending any additional time trying to get service--substitute money for time. Go to www.dotster.com and have the domain transferred. You will then have full CNAME capabilities. The total cost for doing this on both domains is either $30 or $50 total (not sure if CNAME is included in the basic package or whether you have to spend the $10 for their DNS aliasing service), so please don't hesitate to e-mail with a request for moolah.

Again, this isn't a big deal. It isn't holding anything up at all.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Oh come on! Many of my friends have been mugged on the Roman subway for sums well more than that! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Btw, I called the number you listed. Got a voice-mail machine. Sounds like a fly-by-night. I say bag it.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
This might seem like a silly question, but is version 2.3 readily available?

I've gone to the regular dTV site and only the 2.1.2 version or lower is listed.

Or is it not yet available until the DScaler website is up and running?

TIA.

Gary.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....and the saga continues !!!!

Well after the info above I checked out dotster and it seemed like a good value service so...

I tried to get the domains over to them and after 24 hours received this...

Quote:
We tried to transfer the domain dscaler.com from

its previous registrar, but the operation failed. There can

be two reasons for this:

1) You had already requested the transfer of this domain.

in a previous order. If it is the case, you should

receive a separate message telling you that the transfer

succeeded. Please contact [email protected] if you don't.

2) Your current registrar denied the transfer. You must

contact them to clear this situation, then submit your

transfer request again.
I wondered if the initial registrant was being difficult as they are just flat out not responding to email (20+ now) over nearly 2 weeks !!!

but a bit more enquiry got me the following email last night...

Quote:
It is an ICANN policy that a domain cannot be transferred from one registrar to another until it has been registered at least 60 days. IF you try your transfer again when the 60 days have passed, you should be successful. I really wish that I could help you more, but I have no access to another registrars accounts to fix your domain. I wish you the best of luck and if you need more help in another 50 days or so, I will gladly help you
It appears as if this cannot be transferred (for a couple of months) and the registrar wont email back !!! The ICANN info page lists ways to go about disputes but this seems like a really long winded approach....

Any further way out of this bad situation....

I am getting 0 response from xoasis and this is emailing every email address including the whois and advertising ones !!!

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Phat Phreddy (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Again, I wouldn't sweat it. Just place a very short redirector page on the two domains to deinterlace.sourceforge.net, if possible. In two months, we can work out all of the details on the transfer to Dotster.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-22-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.