AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i open videos with totem i get video but there's no sound, the speaker icon appears like this:

An when i play videos on mplayer i get the famous error :

So of course i tried changing the video output to vdpau , but this message appears:

And then closes, its funny cuz smplayer works just fine , even using vdpau

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
it's just config somewhere if smplayer is working properly (your drivers are installed correctly if VDPAU works with smplayer). figure out which media players you really need to use, then troubleshoot from there. they don't all work OOB.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I get errors when I run mplayer from the GUI. But the videos play just fine when I do it through terminal commands. Maybe it is a configuration issue, but since it works using the terminal, I just do it that way.

I am using mplayer compiled from source.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead /forum/post/18253756

I am using mplayer compiled from source.

Can you use mplayer from your distro? I'm guess mplayer didn't compile with the necessary library files. As for sound, that would point to a misconfig of ALSA, what does "aplay -l" show?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I compiled from source because I wanted to add x264 support. My compile went smoothly, so there are no missing libraries. I just ignore the errors, so I don't recall what they are. But since it plays flawlessly from the terminal, it must be a config or something.

I was just relating my experience, and suggesting he try and run it from a terminal. That way you get more feedback.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You probably really want an H.264 decoder. The x264 code is used for encoding into H.264. mplayer already contains an H.264 decoder in its libavcodec library.

If you're using Ubuntu or a derivative like Mint, you can get an mplayer with vdpau support at the Nvidia Vdpau Team PPA .

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei /forum/post/18298351

You probably really want an H.264 decoder. The x264 code is used for encoding into H.264. mplayer already contains an H.264 decoder in its libavcodec library.

If you're using Ubuntu or a derivative like Mint, you can get an mplayer with vdpau support at the Nvidia Vdpau Team PPA .

thats how i got it =(

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now every single one of my video players isnt working now smplayer is translucid, jsut what i needed , im paranoid it has something to do with using amd64.

Edit: I just downloaded vlc player and it looks translucid as well , something must be wrong with my nvidia drivers =/ but they were fine =/ i deinstalled them and resintalled them but it reamains the same =(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts