AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing several problems with WD7UY and was wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing. There is always a risk when being the first to buy a newly released model that there are some problems. I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing similar problems.

1) There is a fog / gradation effect in many scenes. Mostly with the dark colors. Example, sometimes black hair has some green or purlple squares in it. As some scenes fade in or out, it has the 'topo map' look.

2) With a solid blue or green screen, I see faint 1 inch vertical bands which are made up of 3 thin bands each. The stripes are across most of the screen, but the last 1/4 edge of each side of the screen is stripe free. These aren't really noticeable unless I have a solid blue or green screen. You can't see them on a solid grey or black screen.

3) I see banding when there is a high contrast between a dark and light object on the screen. It is pretty obvious with ending titles on the screen. You can see dark bands next to the white text. I see this problem on my DTiVo to a certain extend, but also with a DVD signal. I think the DVD blacks are truer blacks, so the banding is not as obvious because there is no more darkening that can occur in the true black.

4) The most obvious sign that this is a plama problem is that there is noise coming in from the bottom of the screen depending on how bright the scene is. I was using 'Pirates of the Carribean' as the test DVD. I also tried hooking up a portable DVD with a RCA connector and still saw this noise. It's a faint brightness that pops up from the bottom (and sometimes down from the top) of the screen into the black bars of the letterbox. It is also very staticy looking.

Does anyone know what these problems are "technically" called so I can call VA tech support and explain them?

I'm interested if other WD7UY owners are seeing the same thing. Does anyone have a Pirates of the Carribean DVD they can try out to see if they see the noise in the letter box bars? This definitely does not seem normal. Hopefully it's not a flaw in all of the first batch of the WD7UYs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wonder if it's a source (your DVD player) issue. What DVD player do you have? Do you have an HDTV feed (satellite or cable box)? If so, do you notice it there as well?

·
Registered
950 Posts
How is your set connected? Composite, component, s-video or DVI/HDMI?

Vb

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't thinik it a source issue. I see these problems with the following configurations:

1) DTiVo connected via S-Video (through HK AV300 receiver or direct)

2) PlayStation 2 DVD player via S-Video (through HK AV300 receiver or direct)

3) Portable DVD player with RCA cable.

I do not have any HDTV sources to test.

Since the problem appears in 3 different sources, it appears to be a problem with the plasma itself. Anyone else seeing these issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
950 Posts
You don't mention component or DVI/HDMI. The sources you do mention, are not the best for video transmission, and until you've addressed those other options, it will be harder to answer your question.

Vb

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know they are not the best video sources, but they are all I have. I mostly just watch a DirecTiVo source. The occasional DVD.

I either am not understanding something or I DID mention each type of connection in the post above. I am either using S-video or RCA type connectors. Both these connectors are part of the Slot 2 inputs on the back of the plasma.

Thanks for your help.

John

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Even though Composite and S-Video aren't the "Best" inputs to use, he should NOT be having problems with the picture.

My point...any and all input types should give him an acceptable picture without funky colors, stripes, static looking noice, etc.

He should not be forced to HAVE to use Component and DVI/HDMI to enjoy his plasma.

But, having said that, I don't know what the problem is or what the solution could be.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
First things first...

Have you calibrated the monitor?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for making that point!

You are absolutely right that I should NOT be forced to use a higher quality signal. There ARE s-video and RCA inputs on the back of the plasma. I should not be having these problems with these source inputs even if they are not the best inputs to fully utilize the plasma. And besides that, it doesn't make sense that my CRTs are NOT having these PQ problems. I expect the plasma to be a better picture than CRT hands down.

Since noone can really tell me what is causing the problems, I'm thinking that I do have a video processing problem. I guess it's more just trying to figure what is causing it. Is it the composite input card (easy fix) or is it something more inside the plasma itself??

This problem with a "glow" appearing from the top and bottom of the screens is really noticeable especially with letter box bars (which provide a nice black background) to see the "glow" in. The brighter the scene, the more the "glow" comes into the letter box bars from the top and bottom.

The faint dark or light banding I'm seeing with bright or dark images seems like another processing problem. Reminds me of a bad analog signal.

Again if anyone can give me technical terms for these things, it would be helpful when I'm talking to Visual Apex. I called them yesterday and they want me to try switching slots and find "another source" to test. Unfortunately I do not have another source. I may have to "temporarily buy" a DVD player from Costo and then return it, but this isn't very cool.

Thanks for everyone's input! (no pun intended)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Calibrated or not, these glowing / bleeding issues shouldn't be there even if the screen isn't optimized. I've "calibrated" the best I could using my eye. I don't have a calibration DVD yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reality is that the connections do make a big difference. And you might experience quite a reduction in the issues you are having, if not outright resolution, by changing connections. Not saying for sure, but it might help.

You are absolutely right that you shouldn't HAVE to use better quality signals. Though with a higher quality screen, I would think you would shoot for the best quality picture. It sounds, though, like this is probably another issue altogether.

For the sake of argument, do you have the ability to test your plasma with component or digital connections to see if the issues are resolved? Always best to test all possible options. What other devices do you have near your plasma? Where do you have it mounted? Plugged into a clean power source? Is this something you noticed right off the bat or has it gradually progressed?

The reason we ask you to try with a different source is that it narrows down whether or not it is the device or the connections or the plasma or something else altogether.

Let us know how that works out and we can go from there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your reply.

These are problems I noticed fairly quickly right out of the box. Either the problems are getting slightly worse or I'm getting more sensitive to them, but something definitely was a little off from the beginning.

Unfortunately I only have DirecTiVo and PS/2 as my sources (both S-Video sources). I'm working on borrowing a DVD player so I can test the component inputs to narrow down the problem.

My goal was to work up to HD-TiVo in the next year or two. The plasma was my first big purchase towards HD. So I know I'm not using it to it's full potential right now, but I have bigger plans for it in the future.

Again since noone can really explain what is causing these problems, I'm guessing there is something wrong with the video processor, hopefully just in the composite input card and not the plasma itself. I'm not exactly sure what electronics are where and what would cause what. I'll keep you guys updated.

And if anyone has seen similar things or knows possible reasons for these symptoms, please let me know and I'm happy to try things out.

Does anyone have a Pirates of the Carribean DVD they can verify that there is no "glow" from the top and bottom as the scene brightness changes?!

Anyone willing to test an S-Video connection to the WD-7UY from their DVD player to see if they see similiar problems?

Any DirecTiVo users out there?!!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
691 Posts
The first DVD I watched on my new Toshiba 42HP84 was Pirates and I don't recall any "glow". I will watch it again tomorrow and look for it, and let you know for sure. Until then, I hope someone can come up with a definate solution or at least identify what your problem may be.

Mike52

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
First, check to see that all of the connections are secure and in place (just be careful not to apply too much pressure, because you could break a connector or the solder behind it).

Second, when you "direct connect" to the plasma via S-video to test, are you trying both of your S-video cables with each source or just swapping out the sources (keeping the S-video cable constant)? Make sure that you try both with each source and have the RCA video input disconnected (you're not supposed to be able to use both at the same time, but I'm allowing for something funny going on).

Third, how easy is it for you to move the AC cords? Start with the plasma cord first, then move on to the AC cords of your sources. Low level cabling (the cables that carry the audio and video signals) is influenced by AC power cabling. Try not to run the different types of cables (AC and signal) parallel to each other. If you must run them parallel, route them as far away from one another as possible. And if they must overlap, try to cross them at 90 degrees for the least interference.

Fourth, does all of your equipment use the same electrical outlet or different outlets? You may do better, due to grounding issues and problems, if you run your display and components from the same electrical outlet. That's not a hard and fast rule, as sometimes you get less contamination troubles by using different outlets.

And last, do you use a high quality surge suppressor/noise filter for your system? This may help eliminate some interference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Finally someone else mentions a problem that I have been having with my PWD6UY since late February 2004.

When watching DVDs 2.35:1 (black bars top and bottom) I noticed that a strip of pixels ~1" wide stretching across the width of the plasma would be darker then the rest of the black bars. This strip is only on the top of the plasma and when I get real close to inspect it looks like those pixels are absent of all signal. That is, the other pixels in the black letterbox sections show some activity and this select strip has none.

So here is where it gets weird. The section cycles from having activity to none. The cycling comes in slow transitions...first a few lines at the top and then it grows to the 1" strip...then fades back down.

I have not seen this problem with my Time Warner digital cable box on any of the channels (analog, digital or HD). I have a Sony DVD player running component to reciever and having it do the video switching between cable box and dvd player.

I tried hooking straight to plasma with DVD player and also tried S-video to see if it solved the problem....no go.

Since I don't see the issue with VHS or cable box I have been assuming the old DVD player is crapping out on me (~5years old).

So here has been my fix....lower the brightness and contrast and the black bar "noise" seems to fade into the rest of the widescreen movie bars.

I guess I need to borrow a friends DVD player and put this to rest.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
For the glow at the top and bottom. I think it's just a matter of your picture size/alignment.

Adjust your underscan by increasing the horizontal picture and see if that makes it go away. I noticed this on a few channels but after calibrating the set, it's gone.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My experience says return it under warranty and get a replacement.

·
Registered
767 Posts
One other rather delicate question : Are you using a "backup" version of the movie or an original one? Why ? Because with a "backup" compression is used to fit the DVD9 on a DVD5, so more compression=more loss in quality.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK... I've done a much more extensive testing. Bought a progressive scan DVD player and tested with component cables.

To answer some questions people asked:

1) I am using a single power source for the plasma and components.

2) I see glowing from legal copies of any letterbox DVD (mostly tested with Pirates because it was sitting there, but saw with all DVDs I tested). Also seen clearly with DirecTiVo source.

3) The glow comes all the way up to the picture, so chopping down the letterbox will not fix the problem.

4) If I simply turned down the brightness not to see the banding or glowing, the picture would be way too dark... have to have a brightness setting of -20 or so.

Here are the results with some example pics of the "glow" problem:

http://www.lakemercedcoc.org/plasma/

One MAJOR thing I forgot to mention is that when I move through the Picture setting scales, I don't see a progressive darkening as a lower the value... the brightness goes up and down even though I'm just lowing the numbers. In general the brightness goes down more, but it "pops" back up at certain points along the way. I see this both with the composite and component inputs.

Also after THX calibration screens... I found that I needed a -5 to -10 Brightness setting under all conditions and sources. Is this what other people are finding with their panny's out of the box?

Off to call Visual Apex with results...

Any comments or ideas are welcomed!

Thanks!

P.S. The composite glow and banding problem appears to be getting worse over time. It's now past the WAF (Wife Acceptability Factor).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.