AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two problems with my new Sony 34XBR2 HDTV. I also have a new Philips DVD-972CH player (progressive scan, Faroudja FLI2200 chip).

1. The Sony will not let me change the video mode when I set the Philips for progressive output. In order to use the "Cinemotion" mode (with 3:2 pulldown), I had to set the Philips for interlace output, change the Sony from Interlaced- to Cinemotion-mode, then change the Philips back to progressive. I've only watched two movies so far but one of them, Interview With The Vampire (widescreen), had playback errors during a handful of action scenes. The Sony's screen would go blank for a second, then come back with the volume control displayed. So, I guess this is really two problems in one!

2. Some HDTV broadcasts are listed as sub-channels of their analog channels while others are not. For instance, CBS normally broadcasts on channel 8 and their DTV shows up as 8.1. WB normally broadcasts as 69 but their DTV shows up as 19.1.

Any ideas?

- Tony

P.S. It occurred to me that my DVD might be doing a 3:2 pulldown, too, but the manual doesn't mention it nor does the Philips web-site; their other progressive-scan DVD-953 *does* do it...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Answer to question 2: If you broadcaster is re mapping the digital signal back to the analog number that is what you are seeing, this is normal. If the station does not have the right equipment or chose not to re map the you'll get the true digital number.

So you don't have a problem with question 2.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tony,

As for #1 - The "Cinemotion" is strictly for interlaced sources. It provides 3:2 pulldown removal for film based sources. When you set your DVD player to progressive, you have already removed the 3:2 pulldown, therefore the Cinemotion would be trying to remove pulldown when there isn't any.

I would think that might be the problem with your set going black. Just let the XBR lock into progressive mode (with Cinemotion off) when using the Progressive DVD.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Casey

·
Registered
286 Posts
With my sony I have found that disks with errors cause the Sony to go to 4:3 for a second. This causes the TV's display to light up since it's computer thinks that something has changed and you would want to know...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.