Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long prelude .....

I used to have an EAD Ovation for about 1.5 years.

Then I used a Denon AVR-3801 as a processor-only for the last 10 months. I used its pre-outs to to my power amps for the front 3 speakers, but let it power my surrounds.

Last month I picked up a used Lexicon MC-1.

In the meantime, I used the 3801 as a 4-channel amp for my 4 rear surrounds.

Last week I sold the 3801, was left surround ampless, then scooped up a very $cheap trade-in Onkyo TX-DS989 receiver to power my 4 surrounds. I have also watched 3 movies with the 989 as processor, and compared many well known clips between the MC-1 and 989.

A friend as the Pioneer VSX-36TX receiver and also an EAD Ovation.

Which brings me to these thoughts .....

Do the big receiver guys ( Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz ) just by a chip from the chip-guys ( Analog Devices, Cirrus, Motorola ) that does the DD 5.1 and DTS decoding, tie into the chips inputs, and direct the outputs accordingly to their amps ?

I have used the Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer receivers as processors only. Is it me, or do I find that these receivers when used as a processor, sound similar in their steering? Is it because they all ultimately use the same decoding chips from the big chip guys ?

I find the EAD and MC-1 certainly have a unique decoding flavour arising from their own self-derived processing logic.

I still REALLY like the MC-1 for home theatre. I could save a bundle by selling the MC-1 and related required amps, and use the 989 as my processor instead. But to me, the MC-1 sounds worth the price.

- Andy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.