AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next stage of upgrade for my home theater will involve pre-amplification and a new amplifier to replace my receiver. I have a 5.1 speaker system in my theater. I have no need a video switching through a preamp and would prefer unit that does not offer this. I'm also planning on buying used.

Two units that I've been considering are the Meridian 565 and the Tag McLaren AV32R. While the upgradability of the Tag Is a real draw, It is very difficult to find a used unit. The Meridian has been highly recommended but I was hoping that a forum member would be able to comment on how it compares to newer processors.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'd suggest that you look at the Meridian 561 or the 568, rather than the 565. The 565 is the oldest of the bunch, followed by the 561, while the 568 is the newest model.

The 561 is still getting updates (e.g. DPL 2), but it probably won't get updates as far into the future, or to the same degree as the 568. Rumor has it that after the 861 update is completed, updates to the DSP hardware will also become available for the 568. That probably won't be the case for the 561. Still, the 561 is a great sounding pre/pro, and can be had a good price now.

In terms of street price, I'd guess that the TAG falls between the 568 and 561.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If i am not mistaken I believe that the 565 is an older unit, with the current units the 561, 568 and 861. I further believe that the 565 has come to the end of its useful life span. Others may know more onthis than I.

Regarding TAG, yes they are hard to find but not impossible as a friedn of mine picked up a used one. I believe that one of the reasons that they are hard to find is their upgradability... 85%+ of the parts in the AV32 willmake their way to the AV192.

The other nice feature.. pick the upgrades that you want. The one unknown is cost, which will be seen shortly.

Nonetheless I believe that both are good choices and that either one wil make you happy.

Hope that helps,

Joel

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a used Tag for sale on Audiogon. I think he is asking $3200, but this is the second time it has been listed, so maybe you have room to haggle.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Despite the fact that it is no longer upgradeable the 565 remains a formidable product. A fully updated processor is capable of 7.1 and the only current format it doesn't support is DPLII. It has (IMHO) better DACs than a 561 and at the right price could be a great buy. If you don't buy the 565 and want Meridian I would pass over the 561 to the 568. A better future and a better sounding processor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.