AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions. I am currently using an older Onkyo receiver (TX-DS787) with a Marantz MM-9000 amplifier. I moved this summer and my ht has been down due to some remodeling. The room is about finished (at least enough to set up the system) and I am wanting to upgrade my receiver to take advantage of the new sound formats out. I am debating between buying a processor to mate with the amp I already have or selling both amplifier and receiver and purchasing a new receiver.

For a processor it would be limited to the Emotiva UMC-1 because of price constraints. If I were to go the receiver route something under $1000. The room is not large, roughly 14'x16'6". I use Paradigm Monitor series speakers.

I guess my question is am I going to sacrifice a significant amount of performance (audible) going with a receiver over the separates in my situation?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why not get one of the current receivers from Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha depending on what you need and make sure you get a model with pre-outs so you can add an amp later if you need one?

The Pio/Onk/Denon/Yam receivers are feature packed and relatively inexpensive. If you bump right up on your $1k limit you might look at the Onkyo TX-SR876. You probably wouldn't even need a separate amp depending on what speakers you're trying to drive with it and how loud you want to go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have given up being anal about my HT stuff.

Get whatever you think is more fun. Processors are nice if suddenly you move into a huge room and need more power. You don't pay for more than what you need. Receivers are nice if you want everything all in one box. Keep in mind you will be spending $xxx on cables for the pre/pro combo. Processors are generally considered to be better sounding but with fewer features. That's a pretty subjective statement, it all depends on what you like. Don't get your undies in a bunch. To me it's like buying a computer. I don't look back and suffer from buyers remorse or "what if there is something better in 10 minutes?" syndrome.

bah humbug

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have yet to hear a receiver that sounds as good as components. But I use XLR interconnects between the pre and amp and I also bi-wire my speakers. All of my amps are in the 200 watt range. The sound due to my setup is far better than what I hear in my local dealer's shops when they try to show me a receiver. I have never heard Emotiva gear, but on paper their amps look outstanding. I'm very interested in getting their balanced mono blocks.

If you are going to stick with a receiver, just make sure you buy one with preamp outputs. This way you can grow your system with an external amp at a later time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think that there may be some confusion in my question. I already have a seperate amplifier (Marantz MM-9000). My question was basically in my room with my speakers (Paradigm Monitor 7, CC-370, ADP-370) is there going to be a big difference using my current amp with a low priced processor (Emotiva) compared to say an Onkyo 806, 876, Yamaha 863 etc.? If not I think I would just sale the amp I already own to simplify and save space. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Why not use your current amp with a low-price receiver AS a processor... the 1018AH comes to mind as one model that would make a great pre-pro with your current amp.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If I were you, I'd look for a processor with Audyssey MultiEQ XT, Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. Room correction will likely make a difference in your system and if you have a subwoofer, it will make it more "tight" in your setup as well.

You may not be coming close to using the power your Marantz amp has so I'd recommend getting a decent receiver with preouts. Try simplifying and using the receiver's amp so you have a single unit. You might be surprised how nice a newer preamp sounds compared to the 787. If you seem to be getting distortion or the receiver amp isn't up to the task for some reason, you can then attach your Marantz amp and go on as usual.

I went from separates back to a receiver to save space as well and I haven't been left wanting.

Best of both worlds.

The Onkyo TX-SR876 would be a good all in one solution with a very good amp section so you might not need your Marantz. That's a tough call to make without trying it in your setup though.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB_KSU /forum/post/15486126

Thanks for the responses. I think that there may be some confusion in my question. I already have a seperate amplifier (Marantz MM-9000). My question was basically in my room with my speakers (Paradigm Monitor 7, CC-370, ADP-370) is there going to be a big difference using my current amp with a low priced processor (Emotiva) compared to say an Onkyo 806, 876, Yamaha 863 etc.? If not I think I would just sale the amp I already own to simplify and save space. Thanks again for the replies.

Given the criteria that you have, speakers are 8 ohms, sensitivity in the Plus 90 range, small room, no, you should not hear any difference.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think your biggest gain to be had would be to acquire Auddesy EQ

If you want to stick with seperates and use your existing amp, get an integra dtc 9.8 used to stay in budget or the new 9.9, it will give you all of the new HD format features and Auddesy in a processor.

OR sell both your receiver and amp and get the best receiver you can afford that has Auddesy room correction,........ you have a smaller room, with efficient speakers, unless your really into critical listening with sacd's or vintage vinyl
you will not miss out on anything by going with a receiver.

In short if what you mainly want is home theater, get the best receiver you can afford that gives you the most options for movies and forget about squeezing that last drop out of what might be gained by going with the best amp and processor, unless your budget allows you to do both.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will turn the tables around a bit but basically the question is the same. I have a Pioneer VSX-56TXi (circa 2004) and I was wondering if it makes any sense using it as an amplifier by adding a processor before it.

a link for quick specs : http://www.abt.com/product/17575/Pioneer-VSX56TXI.html

Currently any HDMI sources are directly connected to the TV. there are no HD audio sources to require a replacement yet. But the time is slowly coming.

Assumptions/Points to consider:

- VS-56Txi is a 110Watt 7 channel THX Select certified unit. One below the top of the line 5000$ VSX-59Txi.

- VSX-56Txi is connected via iLink to a Pioner SACD/DVD-A Multichannel audio player. Any replacement would require a new multi format audio player (probably connected with HDMI now that the new HDMI spec supports all these formats)

- Is using analog cables between processor/amp a reduction in sound quality? How much would you need to invest to minimize the impact?

- Is amp designs getting any better? If not, wouldn't it make sense to just upgrade your processor as technology progresses and keep the amp?

- Obviously if same processing capability can be purchased in a receiver (and get a comparable amp for free) why bother with 2 units and lots of analog cables in between?

comments/opinions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No receiver I know of has RCA or XLR terminals that would allow feeding an external signal to the input side of the power amps in the receiver.

·
Registered
33 Posts
All receivers have a "direct mode". This Pio has 7.1 analog inputs. It will go through the processing elements, but since direct mode is turned on, it shouldn't modify anything....

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcin /forum/post/16801485

All receivers have a "direct mode". This Pio has 7.1 analog inputs. It will go through the processing elements, but since direct mode is turned on, it shouldn't modify anything....

Am I missing something?

Direct and pure-direct mode can be implemented in many ways it doesn't have a constant meaning. For starters they can mean different things depending on digital or analog and type of input.

The general idea of direct, pure-direct, bypass etc etc is to shutdown as much as possible and feed things with the least (if any) amount of processing.

Daniel.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrykg /forum/post/15484478

I have yet to hear a receiver that sounds as good as components. But I use XLR interconnects between the pre and amp and I also bi-wire my speakers. All of my amps are in the 200 watt range. The sound due to my setup is far better than what I hear in my local dealer's shops when they try to show me a receiver. I have never heard Emotiva gear, but on paper their amps look outstanding. I'm very interested in getting their balanced mono blocks.

If you are going to stick with a receiver, just make sure you buy one with preamp outputs. This way you can grow your system with an external amp at a later time.

Good luck.

you just haven't used the correct avr...

xlr interconnects at short distances will provide minimal, if any, benefit...

the effectiveness of bi-wiring has been thoroughly beaten in other topics, so it's probably not worth digressing on here...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
IMO, processors are too expensive. There's a lot of receivers which can be used as processors. Heck, you can even save some money and only amp the front channels, or amp five channels, and use the receiver to power the back surrounds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts