Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My HTPC has a geforce256 video card installed right now, and I was wanting to upgrade to something like a Radeon 9500.

My question is about the CPU. Right now, I have a 750 MHz Duron, and 256 MB of memory. . .Is that enough speed and memory to work with the Radeon 9500? The machine works great right now, but I was hoping to get better picture quality with the ATI card.

Any info or comments would be great!!

Thanks,

Brian

My webpage

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mmmm.

I have an ATI 8500 in Pentium III 733Mhz. While the ATI card is fast, the processor is now getting a little dated. In fact, I find that I have trouble playing high definition clips.

For example, I have the much-discussed Microsoft clip called "Step Into Liquid" - a pleasant little 720p hi-def example, available on their website. If I run it on my 733 at rated speed, in Windows Media Player or PowerDVD, the audio will play through, but the processor can't keep up in displaying the video - it skips. If I overclock the processor to 800+ Mhz, then it plays smoothly.

Also - with the very popular DScaler program, I find that the display of scrolling text (even with all of the optimization ideas, provided here, implemented) is not smooth. The 733 just can't seem to keep up. Perhaps this is just a DScaler issue, but I observe that the problem does diminish, the more that I turn off CPU intensive options.

I conclude from this that despite the capability of the video card, there are aspects of video playback that can demand a higher speed processor - particularly if you are getting into DVD, MPEG2, or video image editting applications.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would suggest you do upgrade to a faster CPU (especially if your mobo supports it). The reason is that there are better reasons for an HTPC on the horizon that do require a faster CPU. It's like a car, do you want the 95 HP car that can get you from point a to point b? Or would you rather have the 300 HP car that can get you there faster and do other things that your 95 HP car could not do.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
cdrakejr is right. I just don't understand why spend the money on the 9500 pro alone (unless that's all you can afford)?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Can anyone provide the link for the "Step Into Liquid" hi-def clip? I did a search at microsoft.com but came up with nothing.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.