AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I run a 2.1 system that was originally put together for music but is also doubling as my home theater system.

B&W 683 S2
Arcam irDac
Vincent Audio SV-237 Integrated Amp
Krix Seismix 3 Sub
Mac Mini HTPC
Samsung 60" (UA60H6400AW)

The sub is tied in through the pre-out on the SV-237 using the low pass filter on the sub to set to around 60hz with the 683's playing full range. When I first set it all up I had trouble because using VLC on the Mac Mini it was downmixing a 5.1 soundtrack into 2.0 but was just throwing the LFE channel away so everything sounded a bit anemic. I ended up solving that by switching to MPlayerX and setting up some advanced config to get the LFE channel into the front two channels. Instructions below for anybody who stumbles across this with Google, took me ages to figure it out the first time around.

Code:
To downmix 5.1 to 2.0 and mix LFE 50/50 into the front two channels using MPlayerX (can't be done with VLC or others on OSX to my knowlege) put this into the advanced options:
-channels 6 -af pan=5:1:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:1:0:0:0:0.5:0.5:0:0:0:0.5:0.5:0:0:0
This has worked well for me, however Netflix has just launched in Australia and I'm loving it so far. I'm using the Netflix application running on the Samsung Smart TV to watch it. When I first tried it out I had no sound, I eventually got it working by setting the TV to output PCM audio which causes it to downmix the 5.1 Netflix soundtrack into 2 channels which the irDac can then take. Problem is that it throws away the LFE channel while doing this, so back to my problem above but with no software solution available.

(Side note: I'm assuming that it throws away the LFE from the lack of bass - just to cover all my bases does Netflix actually include LFE at all?)

I'm looking for an inexpensive, compact hardware solution that can take a 5.1 signal over optical and downmix it to 2.0 with LFE mixed in and then send that back out over digital optical as 2.0 PCM for the irDac. I've seen lots of these that can do it with analog outputs but have not been able to find one that has digital out.

Any ideas?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts