AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 for more than a year...sigh...and I need to upgrade from my Marantz 7001 Receiver.


My main concern (i know, sad) is to have at least 5 HDMI inputs. Tons of three and a lot of 4 HDMI but the only one I've really seen that has 5+ is the Anthem 50v (can't spend that much) and the Emotiva UMC-1.


I also don't want a Receiver, I just want a processor since I have a big amp. Don't want to waste money on a receiver since the amp will just be wasted.


thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes but isn't that almost (or more expensive) than the Anthem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts
rather than hunting for 6 hdmi inputs, just find one that you want and use a switch in front of it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know, i've tried different switches, always had some problems. plus it's just one less thing i have to deal with/control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just weird...seems that new processor's should have at least 4...if someone is spending $1k plus on a separate, they probably have at least 4 hdmi components...or at least i do... =)


Tivo

PS3

XBOX 360

HTPC

Upscaling DVD player


could i use the PS3 as my dvd player and get rid of my precious OPPO? Ya, probably...but that's just no fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
say, i needed just 4 HDMI inputs...what is the list of processors under $2k? not that many unless i am missing some boutique brands
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953855


could i use the PS3 as my dvd player and get rid of my precious OPPO? Ya, probably...but that's just no fun

I would. I use my PS3 for DVD playback. I can't really tell any appreciable difference between it upscaling DVDs and playing BRs. I only have a 720p display though. Maybe those with 1080p TVs can see something I can't.


There, now you only need 4 HDMI inputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953855


just weird...seems that new processor's should have at least 4...if someone is spending $1k plus on a separate, they probably have at least 4 hdmi components...or at least i do... =)


Tivo

PS3

XBOX 360

HTPC

Upscaling DVD player


could i use the PS3 as my dvd player and get rid of my precious OPPO? Ya, probably...but that's just no fun

Does the TIVO do 1080p? If not, you could just use component. Also, I don't think you woudl be wasting money getting a receiver that has 5 HDMI inputs, because it will be cheaper than any processor with comparable specs (with maybe the exception of the UMC).
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953905


say, i needed just 4 HDMI inputs...what is the list of processors under $2k? not that many unless i am missing some boutique brands

The Onkyo SC885/886 preamp processors have 4 in 2 out.

Check ebay for the 885 used - for a refurbished 886 it would be ShopOnkyo for $949 on special right now - join 'club onkyo' for the better price - or A4L for $999.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies!


i know cost wise it makes the most sense to just get a receiver but it's annoying when i know i am paying for that internal amp which will just sit there being unused.


Why can't the UMC-1 just be released already.... =)


I'll check out the Onkyo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i guess i could run the Tivo off component but i think the right move is just to disconnect my oppo dvd and solely use the PS3. for now...at least hold me over till the UMC-1 comes out, if ever
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,715 Posts
One of these days the UMC-1 will be released. I'm waiting for it too. I have the LMC-1 for now - it works good - but not great.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953553


I've been waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 for more than a year...sigh...and I need to upgrade from my Marantz 7001 Receiver.


My main concern (i know, sad) is to have at least 5 HDMI inputs. Tons of three and a lot of 4 HDMI but the only one I've really seen that has 5+ is the Anthem 50v (can't spend that much) and the Emotiva UMC-1.


I also don't want a Receiver, I just want a processor since I have a big amp. Don't want to waste money on a receiver since the amp will just be wasted.


thanks!

Buy what you want and then just get a HDMI switcher from oppo or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just curious, any recommendations for a processor in the $1000-2000 range? doesn't have to have 5+ hdmi inputs (4 is fine).


seems like there is the Onkyo SC886 but I can't find it anywhere except a refurb one on shoponkyo.


don't know much about NAD's line up.


Integra 9.9? or is that pretty much the same as the Onkyo SC886?


Emotiva UMC-1 whenever the heck that comes out..


I don't think Outlaw makes just processor


who am i missing? are separates just going to the ultra high end crowd with krell, lexi, and McIntosh?


guess i should add Rotel as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/17127357


just curious, any recommendations for a processor in the $1000-2000 range? doesn't have to have 5+ hdmi inputs (4 is fine).


seems like there is the Onkyo SC886 but I can't find it anywhere except a refurb one on shoponkyo.


don't know much about NAD's line up.


Integra 9.9? or is that pretty much the same as the Onkyo SC886?


Emotiva UMC-1 whenever the heck that comes out..


I don't think Outlaw makes just processor


who am i missing? are separates just going to the ultra high end crowd with krell, lexi, and McIntosh?


guess i should add Rotel as well

just sent u a pm

alan in cc
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top