AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 for more than a year...sigh...and I need to upgrade from my Marantz 7001 Receiver.

My main concern (i know, sad) is to have at least 5 HDMI inputs. Tons of three and a lot of 4 HDMI but the only one I've really seen that has 5+ is the Anthem 50v (can't spend that much) and the Emotiva UMC-1.

I also don't want a Receiver, I just want a processor since I have a big amp. Don't want to waste money on a receiver since the amp will just be wasted.

thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes but isn't that almost (or more expensive) than the Anthem?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
rather than hunting for 6 hdmi inputs, just find one that you want and use a switch in front of it...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know, i've tried different switches, always had some problems. plus it's just one less thing i have to deal with/control.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just weird...seems that new processor's should have at least 4...if someone is spending $1k plus on a separate, they probably have at least 4 hdmi components...or at least i do... =)

Tivo

PS3

XBOX 360

HTPC

Upscaling DVD player

could i use the PS3 as my dvd player and get rid of my precious OPPO? Ya, probably...but that's just no fun

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
say, i needed just 4 HDMI inputs...what is the list of processors under $2k? not that many unless i am missing some boutique brands

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953855

could i use the PS3 as my dvd player and get rid of my precious OPPO? Ya, probably...but that's just no fun

I would. I use my PS3 for DVD playback. I can't really tell any appreciable difference between it upscaling DVDs and playing BRs. I only have a 720p display though. Maybe those with 1080p TVs can see something I can't.

There, now you only need 4 HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953855

just weird...seems that new processor's should have at least 4...if someone is spending $1k plus on a separate, they probably have at least 4 hdmi components...or at least i do... =)

Tivo

PS3

XBOX 360

HTPC

Upscaling DVD player

Does the TIVO do 1080p? If not, you could just use component. Also, I don't think you woudl be wasting money getting a receiver that has 5 HDMI inputs, because it will be cheaper than any processor with comparable specs (with maybe the exception of the UMC).

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953905

say, i needed just 4 HDMI inputs...what is the list of processors under $2k? not that many unless i am missing some boutique brands

The Onkyo SC885/886 preamp processors have 4 in 2 out.

Check ebay for the 885 used - for a refurbished 886 it would be ShopOnkyo for $949 on special right now - join 'club onkyo' for the better price - or A4L for $999.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies!

i know cost wise it makes the most sense to just get a receiver but it's annoying when i know i am paying for that internal amp which will just sit there being unused.

Why can't the UMC-1 just be released already.... =)

I'll check out the Onkyo...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i guess i could run the Tivo off component but i think the right move is just to disconnect my oppo dvd and solely use the PS3. for now...at least hold me over till the UMC-1 comes out, if ever

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts
One of these days the UMC-1 will be released. I'm waiting for it too. I have the LMC-1 for now - it works good - but not great.

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/16953553

I've been waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 for more than a year...sigh...and I need to upgrade from my Marantz 7001 Receiver.

My main concern (i know, sad) is to have at least 5 HDMI inputs. Tons of three and a lot of 4 HDMI but the only one I've really seen that has 5+ is the Anthem 50v (can't spend that much) and the Emotiva UMC-1.

I also don't want a Receiver, I just want a processor since I have a big amp. Don't want to waste money on a receiver since the amp will just be wasted.

thanks!

Buy what you want and then just get a HDMI switcher from oppo or something like that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just curious, any recommendations for a processor in the $1000-2000 range? doesn't have to have 5+ hdmi inputs (4 is fine).

seems like there is the Onkyo SC886 but I can't find it anywhere except a refurb one on shoponkyo.

don't know much about NAD's line up.

Integra 9.9? or is that pretty much the same as the Onkyo SC886?

Emotiva UMC-1 whenever the heck that comes out..

I don't think Outlaw makes just processor

who am i missing? are separates just going to the ultra high end crowd with krell, lexi, and McIntosh?

guess i should add Rotel as well

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/17127357

just curious, any recommendations for a processor in the $1000-2000 range? doesn't have to have 5+ hdmi inputs (4 is fine).

seems like there is the Onkyo SC886 but I can't find it anywhere except a refurb one on shoponkyo.

don't know much about NAD's line up.

Integra 9.9? or is that pretty much the same as the Onkyo SC886?

Emotiva UMC-1 whenever the heck that comes out..

I don't think Outlaw makes just processor

who am i missing? are separates just going to the ultra high end crowd with krell, lexi, and McIntosh?

guess i should add Rotel as well

just sent u a pm

alan in cc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts