AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happily using my B&K Ref 30 now but its getting a little old without the latest surround codecs, like DPL II. Also, the integrated DAC and supporting components won't decode DVD-A or SACD natively.

Any pre/processor on the horizon with all the latest bells & whistles out of the box?

And more importantly, if such an animal exists, is the current DVD-A & SACD players capable of outputting the digital stream into an outboard processor? I'd like to limit the multitude of analog patch cables necessary.

Robert

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Denon has a proprietary digital connection that works between their DVD-A or SACD player (I forget which format! :) ) and newest receiver. Other manufacturers have also announced plans for such a technology, but they all tend to be proprietary to get RIAA approva.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Cal,

The Denon combination (DV-9000 --> AVR-5803) is for DVD-A only.

Other solutions out there for DVD-A are by Meridian... Their 800/861 combo is fantastically expensive. An upcoming solution (598 DVD-V/A + 568v2 processor) should cut the cost to a Meridian digital solution drastically, but it too will be far from inexpensive.

Sharp and Muse have demonstrated digital transfer of DVD-Audio as well, but neither have products to market just yet.

On the SACD side:

Accuphase, dCS and Sharp have all demonstrated digital output of the format, all in proprietary formats, and all for stereo solutions.

Sharp publically demo'd multi-channel distribution on prototype units at CES 2002.

There are efforts underway for a standardized digital DVD-A output, which is lacking the major point of encryption. The rest of the spec for digital DVD-A out has been finished.

SACD is rumoured to have a standardized solution, but that remains to be seen in public.

Regards,

·
Registered
30,208 Posts
Some time back I remember reading about an EAD processor with a DVD drive built in, specifically with the hi-res audio formats in mind. Anyone know what ever became of it?

Sanjay

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Sanjay,

Are you thinking of the DVD Master 8000 / 8000 Pro by chance?

While it can decode DTS/DD and DVD-Audio, with bass management and a a line stage (aka preamp/volume control). It has no external inputs so any other digital sources are pretty well ruled out.

Regards,

·
Registered
30,208 Posts
John,

That's exactly the one I was thinking of.

Hmmm, from the press blurb I always thought it was a full fledged pre-pro (inputs and all) with a DVD drive built in. No external inputs eh? So I guess it's closer to one of those DVD players that can decode DVD-A or SACD (w/ DD & DTS processing built-in). Too bad; I thought it was a good idea (i.e., player/pre-pro combo) since the hi-rez data never has to leave the player.

Anyway, thanx for the clarification.

Best,

Sanjay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.