AVS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Got an email from Pro Control saying they aren't shipping yet:

Quote:
They are now in production though, so we are now closer than ever before. We made some sweeping performance advancements, and plan to release by January.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon-HD Install /forum/post/21459609

They have just started shipping now...

Are they shipping the ProLink.z and the iPro 8? Talked to their distributor on Friday and was told they were not shipping yet. It is the unit that is closest to Thinkflood's Redeye Pro but is less expensive and offers a physical remote as well. My biggest concern is that one might only be able to program it from Windows (a non-starter for me - I have no Windows systems in my environment and have no wish to add them).

Have you actually used one?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It is of course a Windows based configuration application. It is available to dealers right now. AFAIK the actual hardware is either shipping to distributors now or in the next week or so.

Every major CE development application is Windows based so why would ProControl be any different?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anyone get them yet? Any initial impressions? My installer just got hold of one. Played with it for a few mins. He had nothing set up though. Coming from the harmony, the remote felt pretty receptive and quick in response.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm looking to replace my Harmony One remote, and this looks very similar. Right now my *ONLY* complaint with my Harmony (aside from the cracked screen) is that it can't fully control my PS3. I can mostly control it, but navigating the PS3 menu is difficult, and I can't use the remote to turn the PS3 on and off.

It appears that 24.z is $450, AND the ProLink.z is another $450. Everything I've read lumps the two together, and don't really go into what the remote by itself can do. As of now it seems like I HAVE to get the ProLink.z to have the same control that I do with the Harmony One.

Also, a few things I read said that the configuration software was for dealers only, which is a MAJOR deal breaker for me. There is a place in town here that sells high end remotes, and this sounds very much like what they sell, and they charge you $800 to program it the first time, and $250 for each time after.

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
You just need a different IR adapter for your PS3. The remote doesn't really matter. Does this remote really control the PS3 without an adapter? Is it wise to spend more on a remote for your PS3 than for the PS3 itself? Have you considered another player that you can actually control, like the Sony 390?

If you don't want another harmony, I would get an Xsight and a 390 rather than a pro remote. There is also an inexpensive IR/BT PS3 adapter made for it as well that has full on/off control like the Logitech adapter. Pro remotes are for people who don't mind the price and are willing to pay for the programming.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am contemplating buying either a ProControl Pro.24r or Logitech harmony One. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Need to make a decision by tomorrow, so please help. The Pro is around $30.00 more than the Logitech.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio  /t/1264762/procontrol-24-z-by-rti/30#post_22213731

I am contemplating buying either a ProControl Pro.24r or Logitech harmony One. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Need to make a decision by tomorrow, so please help. The Pro is around $30.00 more than the Logitech.

Anyone? I searched, but found nothing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Harmony One will not do RF (the Logitech 900 will--but with an annoying delay).

24z appears to do RF (not sure about delay). Huge downside here is that you will have to pay a professional installer through the nose to program it for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I guess you have to pay to play. I mean I don't see whats wrong with paying someone to do it right why be cheap and try to jimmy rig it yourself when a good installer with the right experience can get er done for you fairly quickly. I can guarantee that these don't have delays over a (Harmony) but over the past few months I've sold a few of these to my clients and in the beginning they had a few quirks but they seem to be worked out now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had good luck with ProControl. I havent noticed any delay issues whatsoever. The programming software isnt as advanced as RTI, but has a lot of the features, and you can import the expansive RTI library for use in programming. Programming for a simple one room system shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have bought one of these remotes to run my new system. The rest of the system was up and running in January but the remote is still not working properly. I have been displeased with the remote and all the time that I have waited for it to be programmed. When I finally did receive the programmed remote last week my dealer only charged me one hr for programming. This seemed fair to me till I got it home and it doesn't work properly. It is supposed to control my T.V. , Satellite , PS3, and my Marantz AV8801. The remote will turn the tv on. It will not bring up the guide on the satellite. It will control the volume on the marantz that is all and the remote does noting for the PS3. I am wondering if I have the remote base station connected properly. I feel confident that this will be a cool controller. Just wish the damn thing worked. I will take it back for more programming and wait some more. Yay...

·
Registered
111 Posts
The programmer really just needs to go to your house and finish the programming there. That way he can test and verify all the codes and macros work. As far as the PS3 goes you will need to buy a IR to Bluetooth converter so that your remote will be compatible with the PS3. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriverdoug  /t/1264762/procontrol-24-z-by-rti/30#post_23025431

The programmer really just needs to go to your house and finish the programming there. That way he can test and verify all the codes and macros work. As far as the PS3 goes you will need to buy a IR to Bluetooth converter so that your remote will be compatible with the PS3. Good luck.

Thanks

I was hoping this was not the case. I live 1.5 hrs out of town. This means an expensive service call. But I guess its worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How much should I expect to pay to program a Pro24z? I inherited a remote and a Pro Link processor and would like to use it with a Vizio TV, TiVo Roamio DVR, Sony receiver, and, ideally, a Sonos system but that's the least of a priority because the app on my ipad works great. Right now it takes so many clicks to get into programs in Amazon, Hulu, Netflix etc. and to switch back and forth between them without having to go 'home' and start all over working my way into them...

Also, can someone program this remotely or do they have to be on site?

Thanks,
M.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts