AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVSForum! I am actually an active lurker on the forum but just created this account for the purpose of surveying some potential opinions on something I'm considering creating.

As many of you probably know, the "why not wye" article, even though it is old, is still valid today.

There are not (as far as I am aware) readily available, reasonably priced, methods to sum two channels into one.

Basically, I would like to know if there would be interest in a commercially available solution to this. Currently it is fairly easily done as a DIY project, but in many ways people are willing to pay for a well made product that means they don't have to the work themselves.

I don't expect this to be a huge market, but if I can find enough demand for such a product I would be interested in creating it, without going into too much detail.

Thus is my question to all of you in AVS: Would you buy a stereo to mono summing cable/box if your situation needed it? (IE: L/R channel to Mono for subwoofer purposes)

The Why not Wye article for your reference can be found in a Google search. I cannot attach it without more posts to my account.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response.

Now the product you linked is good, if you only want RCA connections, but this would be planned to be at a lower price as well as for balanced connections rather than simply RCA

Balanced being TRS in/out or XLR, or any combination, whichever proves most popular really.

Likely high impedence, for high end audio purposes, as would generally be expected with TRS and XLR applications anyhow.

I do appreciate the links, actually. I still haven't been able to find a XLR or TRS summing box that does so within a reasonable price range for what it is ultimately doing, which is why I was considering this. If you can provide me a link showing a balanced in/out that does the same as your first link this would prove fruitless, and would also save me the effort.

Though I have searched for quite some time and have been unable to find one.

And yes, I am going to do it myself as well, though I would happily have paid a reasonable amount for a solution which would not require me to cut up and solder some cables.

Again, I appreciate any feedback anyone is able and willing to give me about this. AVSForum is a pretty darn good place for all sorts of audio folk

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The first link, the ATI SUM100, is an XLR balanced device.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's page:

http://www.atiaudio.com/ViewImages.aspx?CurPage=SUM100

ATI is considered to be fairly high-end, very well respected.

The third link is also balanced, though without connectors other than screw terminals. IIR, under $100.

There are also balanced, passive transformer solutions, I just don't use them.

Anything with TRS connections on it isn't considered high end or professional, strictly semi-pro/music market. You don't see TRS on any hifi gear. I also have no idea what you might consider "reasonable" price. In product manufacturing, the "rule of thumb" is you have to be able to sell it at 3x to 5x the manufacturing cost, and you have to expect to recoup your development costs with the sale of a volume of product. Unless you get this thing stamped out overseas (relative to the USA), the cottage-industry idea will make this into a craft hobby, not a profitable product. The problem is, I don't see either a large enough market or a market gap. It's a small market with several solutions in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be a very small portion of the market, yes. XLR and TRS are interchangeable as far as my knowledge goes, they are essentially the same thing in different formats.

Reasonable price would most likely be $25-$35, potentially less but that is the initial estimate. There is no intent to include an amplifier in the design which should be the only reason they are charging so much, in addition to the fact that high end merchandise usually has additional markup just for being high end.

I do agree that it would be a small market with a relatively small audience, but I still have yet to see a solution within the sub $40 price range with balanced in/outputs.

It would not be something I seek to make a living solely off of, but if it can fill a need enough to justify the effort I wouldn't mind seeking to fill the market need. I am happy to provide a solution for something that has no current solution even if it is a small market. But doing research is part of it, which is what I'm doing currently.

Again, I want to say I do appreciate your responses so far. If you know of a solution that fits the above (passive, below $40, simply sums 2 channels) then it would negate the need for this but I searched for quite some time and saw what seemed to be at least some demand for such a product without anyone offering solutions in the replies, but my knowledge of more obscure wiring solutions is not exceptional, only above average.

You are clearly someone very familiar in the territory so I am grateful for your responses so far.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It would be a very small portion of the market, yes. XLR and TRS are interchangeable as far as my knowledge goes, they are essentially the same thing in different formats.

Reasonable price would most likely be $25-$35, potentially less but that is the initial estimate. There is no intent to include an amplifier in the design which should be the only reason they are charging so much, in addition to the fact that high end merchandise usually has additional markup just for being high end.

I do agree that it would be a small market with a relatively small audience, but I still have yet to see a solution within the sub $40 price range with balanced in/outputs.

It would not be something I seek to make a living solely off of, but if it can fill a need enough to justify the effort I wouldn't mind seeking to fill the market need. I am happy to provide a solution for something that has no current solution even if it is a small market. But doing research is part of it, which is what I'm doing currently.

Again, I want to say I do appreciate your responses so far. If you know of a solution that fits the above (passive, below $40, simply sums 2 channels) then it would negate the need for this but I searched for quite some time and saw what seemed to be at least some demand for such a product without anyone offering solutions in the replies, but my knowledge of more obscure wiring solutions is not exceptional, only above average.

You are clearly someone very familiar in the territory so I am grateful for your responses so far.
Here's a good passive XLR unit:
https://proaudio.com/catalog/whirlwind-imcoml-imp-combiner-2x1-line-level-combiner.asp

Your price point would be great if you could pull it off. But for me, I can't buy the connectors and a box and mount the connectors in a box for $40, much less wire it up, put any graphics on it, package it for retail sales, develop product art and cut sheets, etc. Just no way that works without enough quantity for automated assembly or assembly in China, both of which dictate significant quantities. But perhaps you can work magic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off - thank you for the link, I'm gonna bookmark that in case I need something in the future.

As said that is the estimate, I am relatively sure I can get it done for near that price range. I do apologize for not dictating that price earlier for more feedback. If it was around that price range would you, or do you believe other people, would be interested in the product?

It would be a small market, absolutely, but a small market can still prove to provide plenty of demand if a niche is properly filled

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.