AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth the $$$? Looking for opinions from those that have had their TV's calibrated by a professional. Would you do it again?

Bill

·
Registered
390 Posts
i've been pondering having my mits 55313 isf calibrated also. Generally how much does it run to have it done and what exactly do they do? I assume that they adjust the grayscale, but what else do they do? I am also going to be moving in the next year or so. If I get it calibrated and then move the tv I assume there is a possibility of having to do it all over again, right?

·
2,436 Posts
MostToyz,

You were a little long winded in that reply. You're killing the forum bandwidth!;)

Bill,

I don't know how many will reply, but most seem happy with their sets after being calibrated. You should wait until you have a few hundred hours of operation on it so it "breaks in".

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craig Miller specializes in Mitsubishi RPTVs. I have a WS-55411. He charges $595 for the following:

1) Inspect TV for defects

2) Clean Optics

3) Set cut-off VR trimmers to equalize all three CRT voltages

4) Mechanical, Electrical and Magnetic Focusing

5) Geometry, Overscan and Convergence

6) Reprogram the DM EPROM with I2C to linearize and correct the color decoder, disable dynamic picture, turn off edge enhancements, and many other improvements

7) Align the color decoder to SMTPE standards

8) Set Brightness and Contrast

9) Set Sharpness with oscilloscope

10) Set Greyscale to D65 and adjust Gamma to between 2.2 and 2.5 depending on your viewing habits

11) Set and calibrate DC Transistion

Hope he doesn't mind me posting that. It's from his post over at ***************.

Bill

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My TV is 2 years old and has been "calibrated" by me using DVE. I have not gone into the service menus nor do I wish to. I have not opened up the TV either.

I brought it home, used Sound & Visions Home Theater Tuneup initially, and recently ran through the DVE disc.

Bill

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Barry, true, I guess I could have been a little more verbose, but sometimes simple is best.

I do believe it is worth having a TV calibrated. Of course that ultimately depends on who is doing the calibration and if they know what they are doing.

I have had it done and would (will) have it done again.

The average cost for a good calibration is $400. I don't know exactly what they do, but whatever it is, they improve the picture I see.

Some words of advice; If they show up without special equipment (signal generator for the TV's inputs and a light meter are a MUST) send them away. Also, they should have a service manual available for your model TV. One more thing, if they start changing things without somehow recording exactly what they changed and what it was before they began, you better have high confidence in their abilities or you are in for trouble.

Cheers,

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MostToyz,

Craig lists the following among his equipment:

Sencore CR5000 ColorPro "All Displays Color Analyzer"

6500K Home-made Optical Color Comparator

Tektronix 465B 100 MHZ Oscilloscope

Accupel HDG-3000 HDTV/SDTV Calibration Generator

Chroma Ate 2130 Calibration Generator

AVIA, DVE, S&V DVDs

I2C Equipment

JimP,

I have a Mitsubishi WS-55411 as noted above.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just had mine calibrated after the recommended 200hrs or so. I'm a video editor for Major cable network. With that being said, I have a critical eye when it comes to viewing this set. After ISF calibration, I was able to see the difference immediately on this amazing Tosh set. My wife however could not see the improvement. The change was subtle to the eye but the colors were vastly improved. I really noticed the change when I went to the movies and was amazed at how close my settings were to the colors I saw being displayed at the theater. I wanted to call the tech and praise his work. I also used Avia digital setup disk at first, but a good Tech can go much deeper into the service menu and tweak for the proper calibration unattainable by just using a setup disk. The money was well worth spending. The wife didn't think so but I constantly point out how beautiful the Hi-Def signal is and especially while watching sporting events and movies. If you don't calibrate these sets you will not fully enjoy there full potential.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_B4
MostToyz,

Craig lists the following among his equipment:

Sencore CR5000 ColorPro "All Displays Color Analyzer"

6500K Home-made Optical Color Comparator

Tektronix 465B 100 MHZ Oscilloscope

Accupel HDG-3000 HDTV/SDTV Calibration Generator

Chroma Ate 2130 Calibration Generator

AVIA, DVE, S&V DVDs

I2C Equipment
Looks like a professional list to me. Very good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a comment about professional equipment. I used Tektronix 465/475 scopes 25 years ago. We had them calibrated on a regular basis. Having a scope or any other "professional" equipment really doesn't mean much unless it's in good shape, calibrated, and the person knows how to use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.