AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My accoustic drawings have 2 proffesional home cinema subs reccomended, the model is LFC-212. They wouls be mounted in-wall.Has anyone heard these? are they good, better, best?

(old Montgomery wards slogan) any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Actually, that sub doesn't look half bad. Twin 12's in a large enclosure with a DSP processor (made by QSC). Actually, the whole line looks quite intriguing come to think of it. Really intriguing. Hmmm....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for responding soundood.

I was looking at the triad in-wall subs, partly because Art Sonneborn has them and I really respect his theater. I realize Inwalls are not optimal but I'm kind of an audiophile wannabe and Inwalls work better in my space. Anyone out there have any experience with the pro cinema sub?.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I find it rather interesting that there are no reviews of any kind for these products. Try typing 'professional home cinema lfc-18' (for their 18" subwoofer) in Google and there are no results.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot /forum/post/0

My accoustic drawings have 2 proffesional home cinema subs reccomended, the model is LFC-212. They wouls be mounted in-wall.Has anyone heard these? are they good, better, best?

(old Montgomery wards slogan) any input is appreciated.

Their products are jaw-dropping. One of my installers has done some theaters in the past using PHC products, and if you want incredible dynamics and seemingly endless output then PHC will get you that.

Im actually surprised that more of you havent mentioned their stuff, but its a smaller "specialty" company that typically caters to the higher-end dedicated theater crowd. You must be doing a pretty serious setup?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the response. It's also been reccomended and I'm going to use triad 3 Gold LCR's. and 4 silver onwall surrounds. I dont see alot of comments on them either but I trust the reccomender. Any Idea if these subs would be a good fit with these Triads? are they of the same level? I'm a remodeler and I use the analogy that you dont want to put a yugo emblem on a mercedes and visa versa. Are these in the same league? Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:

thanks for the response. It's also been reccomended and I'm going to use triad 3 Gold LCR's. and 4 silver onwall surrounds. I dont see alot of comments on them either but I trust the reccomender. Any Idea if these subs would be a good fit with these Triads? are they of the same level? I'm a remodeler and I use the analogy that you dont want to put a yugo emblem on a mercedes and visa versa. Are these in the same league? Thanks, Jeff

Seaton Submersives = Yum yum.

The 18" sub that PHC has seems pretty good too, although I would probably go with Submersives instead.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN /forum/post/0

Any retail pricing info??

For the Submersives I think you can order them for $2000.

For the 18"s from PHC, no idea.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope to see if I can get them through avs.

The designer reccomended 4 subs in the beginning I said 2 should do it, (remember audiophile wannabe) then he came up with putting 1 in front and 1 in the back. I can design around the depth of the 18" sub for 1 location. Would it make sense to use an 18" and the double 12"?

maybe different strengths at differant frequencies? Also thanks for adding to this Art, I would love to see your theater.

Dave N, I don't have any pricing yet.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Somebody correct me if I read wrong, but I'm seeing that the inwall sub is 6" deep.

That won't fit in a standard wall(~3.5" depth)

Have you considered an Infinite Baffle setup?It takes up no space. All you need is an attic/spare room/crawl space that you don't mind being exposed to bass in addition to the theater.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:

I hope to see if I can get them through avs.

The designer reccomended 4 subs in the beginning I said 2 should do it, (remember audiophile wannabe) then he came up with putting 1 in front and 1 in the back. I can design around the depth of the 18" sub for 1 location. Would it make sense to use an 18" and the double 12"?

maybe different strengths at differant frequencies? Also thanks for adding to this Art, I would love to see your theater.

Dave N, I don't have any pricing yet.

Hi spot,

Small world, being that I live a few miles away from you on the north side of Chicago.

The PHC products are designed by Paul Hales, who is a very competent designer, who interestingly ended up where he is now from his early days with the more boutique 2-channel speakers of the now defunct Hales Design Group, and later served as the primary designer of QSC's (yes, the pro amp manufacturer) first pro audio loudspeaker offerings. His new designs show the influence and experience of both worlds.

While the means depart in various ways from my own preferences, and technical information on the website is somewhat limited, the spirit of what he's doing is something I greatly appreciate, as there are not enough offerings with the dynamic capability needed in big, dedicated rooms. I know the products are not in-expensive, but there are certainly much more expensive that don't deliver. I heard the SCR-15s and the subs at CEDIA last year and they sounded good and were impressive considering the environment.

So far as combining their 18" sub with the dual 12", note that a pair of 12" drivers have very near the same surface area as an 18". In fact, if you look at the product page, they mention using them together specifically:
"Employing two 12-inch professional-grade drivers in a single shallow cabinet structure, the LFC-212 achieves the precise acoustic transfer-function of its larger sibling, the LFC-18, allowing the two devices to be used interchangeably, or in-concert within the same system."
Who is the designer of your theater spot? If you can make it out to hear Art's system, it's well worth the 3 hr. drive. There are also a few members here in the Chicagoland area with some very impressive systems that may be willing to let you have a listen for some points of comparison if that is what you are looking for.

Good Luck with the project.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Mark! Let me know if you need anything. I'm using PMI, I should be getting my elevations this week. I don't know how to do links but I type in
www.pmiltd.com/design.html I would love to see Arts theater and I just registered on your forum this afternoon, small world. as the paln unfolds I will definetly like to talk to you about my space and equipment/speaker selections.

I'm gone this weekend but I'll see you on your forum next week. thanks again, jeff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.