AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. in the market for a new portable DVD player. I have an old panasonic that play's a really nice "Progressive Scan" image, and am looking for another player with this same feature. The problem is it appears in my small seacrh that there are no more progressive players out there? Did I just look in the wrong place or what?

I am looking for something in the 8 or 9 inch screen size, and the best picture I have seen in that size so far came from a sony, can't remember the player model number, but it had a nice clean image with hardly any visible horizontal lines. What is the top dog in portable DVD players of this size, and are there any in that play progressive scan anymore?

Thanks

Ozzie

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
Don't worry about "progressive scan"; they effectively all have it. LCD screens (as opposed to CRT's) by their very nature can only draw an image progressively so it has to. The unit you had bragged about it because it's a "buzz word". [Progressive component video outs to another monitor is another thing entirely and rather rare in portable DVD units.]

The most important spec is the one they are least likely to divulge: the pixel resolution. Or when they do, they artificially boost it by a factor of 3 by counting the sub-pixels of red, green, and blue. Almost all 7-8 inch units are 1440 x234 pixel resolution (1440 is really 480 times 3) and are so poor you'll have trouble reading fine print such as the credits at the end of a movie. I hate that! What you want is 480x800 (or multiply by three if using the cheat method) which is much more common on 10 inch screen units. The only 7-8 inch unit I know of with this resolution, the Sony DVP-FX850, is only just now being released in Japan and may not be exported:
http://www.i4u.com/article8475.html

Don't confuse this with the commonly availible low-res model that has the same body design but is called the DVP-FX810. [480 (x 3) x 234 pixels]

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Thanks for all the info, the DVP-FX850 in your link is the one I saw that I thought looked the best in the bunch!

I wrote down the model number when I saw it, just could not remember it, but as I was cleaning my suitcase(I was traveling) I found the paper I wrote and it said FX850! I know you said it's just out in japan, but I saw this at a store in Los Angeles selling for $285. They also had a DVP-FX810 for $250 that one looked good also but the other one had some type of USB connector that I did not see on the 810. I was really hoping to see a nice 9 inch with this kind of resolution, but the 9 inch ones did not look as good.

Do you know of any other 9 inch or so players with the 480X800 resolution that you like?

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
I think that one you saw in the LA store was a fluke. Do you remember the name of the store? A quick search on the web finds no US shops currently carry the DVP-FX850. I tried mysimon, pricegrabber, amazon, bhphotovideo, crutchfield etc and none even list it as "coming soon".

The USB ports on these things is to watch still photos from a thumb drive storage device or connect to a digital camera to view its content on the screen. That's the good news, now the bad; it is sloooooooooooooow.
USB 1, not the speedy USB 2 we are all now used to, I believe. Drawing an image any greater than say 1 megapixel takes perhaps as much as a minute per picture. How many people still shoot with 1 megapixel cameras! The card reader ports for memory sticks/SD cards on other similar designs is also painfully slow.

After much research and reading consumer reviews I came up with the conclusion that the Philips 10" units (PET10???
) had the best screens but I've always had bad reliability issues with Philips DVD recorders and their other products so I kept looking. Turns out the 10" Initial IDM-1295 (and other similar designs) seems to use the same screen and costs much less. I bought one and other than the slowness of the USB/reader slot I generally like it. It plays all sorts of formats and I like how it is convertible to tablet form with its rotating screen.

P.S.

The USB/card reader slot comes with very little documentation as to how to use it or what it can/can't do, but I've also discovered that it can play music files (MP3/WMA?)and gives you a nice readout of the songs on the LCD, which you can browse with the supplied remote. Kind of makes having an ipod Nano like device redundant. Built-in speakers for playback too, but as you probably know, they're bad sounding just like every other 1 inch diameter speaker out there. The digital SPDIF out (coaxial) can of course give killer results.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
m.zillich

Sorry I just cant recall the name of the store, I do not think it was a chain store, but more of a privately owned type. It had large glass windows in the front and every square inch of the show windows was covered with digital cameras, video cameras, portable DVD players and what not. One of the sony's did have a usb port, but did not find out if it's usb 1 or 2.0, and from what I recall the other sony did not have a usb port.

Is the IDM-1295 one of those units with the 480X800 resolution?

I really would prefer a player the is either 8 to 9 inches in size. Is sony the only one with players this size using the higher resolution?

I really could care less if it plays MP3 or WMA's. Thats what my I-Pod is for, but high resolution screen, dual headphone jacks, video inputs DVD+R/DVD-RW capabilities and good menu with picture cotrols is important. FM transmitter would icing on the cake!

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
I think 480x800 resolution is actually the norm for 10 inch models. They probably all use the same actual screen element. Initial, Shinco, and Audiovox (?) seem to all be the same as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure the Sony dvpfx850 is the only sub 9 inch with 480x800. Panasonic or Toshiba may make 9 inch with good screens, but I don't know. Sorry, no FM xmit built-in. The know older Initial IDM-1250 is the same but has no swivel, iirc, and more info on that one here:
Great Video Help Site

·
Registered
138 Posts
The ones I know of are the higher end Toshiba models starting with the SD-P2000 in 2002. They are progressive scan (via component) out and the screens are 8.9 inches. They make a nice home unit as they also have an optical out.

The resolution on these things is amazing at 1024 by 600. You have to look to find a pixel.

The same screen and progressive component out was used over the next 3 models and years: SD-P2500, SD-P2600, and SD-P2700. I liked mine so much I bought a few more over e-bay for batteries, spares,etc.

Has dual headphone jacks, is only able to play DVD -R, though it does a nice job on VCD (CD-RW, CD-R) and MP3.

The players after the SD-P2000 have a card reader slot for JPEG's. Pricing for a used unit is in the $200 range tops.

The newer Toshiba SD-P2800 has a full 9 inh screen, but resolution is down to 800 X 480 though still has progressive out

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks windsorite

I was not really looking for progressive component outputs, I was looking for a progressive image on the actual screen, but according to zillch the image quality has more to do with actual screen pixel count rather than progressive scanning(news to me).

Also it appears that some of these players do not give you real numbers but they multiply by three the pixel count(counting RGB I assume) which gives you an inflated number. Now is Toshiba SD-P2000 claims of 1024 X 600 pixel count(540 lines) actual? Also being a 2002 model not really much of those around new for purchase, and the component outputs actually got poor reviews.

I will be going back to L.A. hopefully next week, will take a closer look at that sony that I saw and see if it is indeed a DVP-FX850. If so then it appears that this is the only new portable that does 480x800 resolution in a 9" screen size or less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Based on your post I am considering the Initial IDM-1295 player. We would want to run a photo slide show on it as well using the SD card, and I cannot find any information as to the resolution of this screen. ANy comments? Are you still happy with it?

Thx

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
I'm pretty sure my IDM-1295 is a 10.2" LCD with 480x800 (or so) but keep in mind that the SD card slots (or USB interfaces) on all these types of machines are dead slow at reading images. As I mentioned in an earlier post above, if the pics on your card are say 2 o' 3 megapixels each you may find it takes as much as 10-20 seconds just to read each pic off the card ( if it can even do it, that is). Kind of like USB 1.0 speed vs. modern day 2.0 . Under 1 meg each pics (or even better still close to the screen's actual native res of ~.3 megapixel) should work well though. Try bringing a card to a store that has one to test it to be sure. Good luck.

P.S. I saw an LG at Best Buy that had a very nice vibrant screen , perhaps OLED not LCD cause it was very colorful and didn't washout from an angled view like LCD's do. I don't have a model number but can tell you the body was all black and the buttons were shaped like little indentations (moon craterish) and more of a touch panel membrane (no up down motion at all). The buttons weren't working (locked out in an in store demo mode?) so I couldn't jump to the credits at the end of the movie to see if they were readable (hi res screen, that is).

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
Thing is, Archos and other PMPs take 2hrs to encode a 2hr DVD movie through the analog video in (some of them have) or you you have to use illegal software (not supplied by Archos) to break the CSS copyright/DRM to first record them to your hard drive and then later dump to your PMP.

Some people just want to pop in a DVD, press play, and watch a movie legally, dude.

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
If anyone is still following this thread, i just saw the Sony DVPFX820 which I think is the same as the 850 in Japan. I only had a brief look but here is my 10 second review:

8" swivel screen, 480 x 800 native resolution (Hurray!), composite in or out as mini plug (typical), Optical mini-toslink digital audio out (not common), plays JPEG's (probably very slowly, I bet), transport controls are on the screen part not the base so flipping the screen and holding it like a book or mounting like a flat panel on the wall/car dashboard will work.

My brief look was before any potential color or brightness adjustments but here goes:

Colors fair. Black level fair to poor (hey, its a $180 LCD, what do you expect), Color/contrast change for off axis viewing poor. Resolution good.

http://www.abt.com/product/33758.html

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch /forum/post/13471827

If anyone is still following this thread...

Don't know if any early posters are still here (besides yourself) but you should continue to have people like me checking in when items likes these are being considered.

You should consider starting a new thread about portable DVD players and keep it up to date since you seem to be knowledgeable about these units.

Your resolution advice is much appreciated!

ck

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I think this one thread should be enough though. I only passively look at these things these days. My interest will increase once Bluray units hit the scene but that could be a year away or more, who knows.

I also seek component video in, a feature none has ever had (although some have had component out) so as to use one as a monitor with external HD sources such as ATSC tuners, cable HD DVR, HD camcorder, BluRay players, D-VHS VCR, etc. SD devices don't cut it for me, I want HD!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.