AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I just bought a ProGear (HX+) that runs Linux and plan to use it to run MainLobby to control myhome theater, interfacing somehow with my HTPC (an IBM PII 300 w/Slink-e running Windows XP and Girder). What is the best way to "connect" the ProGear and the HTPC? Through the XP's "net remote" feature"? Or run MainLobby on the ProGear and just have it send commands to the HTPC as needed? I'm not at all averse to changing the ProGear over to Windows - which version (98, 2000, XP) would be recommended, if any? My main goal, obviously, is to make the interconnection as fast and glitch-free as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hey dlksf,

You'll need to run MainLobby on a Windows OS. My recommendation would be to put Xp on the ProGear.

You can run Remote Desktop on your ProGear to then connect to your HTPC. I just got remote desktop running on a machine here, but not the ProGear yet.

The downside is that you can only have one connection at a time. So when you do connect to your HTPC, it won't display the same thing and I believe will HTPC will go to a login type page.

So if you need to display on both the HTPC and Tablet at the same time, it might not be a good solution. Also, keep in mind the ProGear is 4x3 aspect and most users may have a 16x9 display connected to their htpc.

You could just use the ProGear as a remote control and send commands through Girder/MainLobby to control your HTPC.

Probably got you thinking about more questions than providing you with answers. :)

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
You might want to ask mario, the creator of Main Lobby.

I am using the Progear only with remote desktop from my server.

I think Mario uses this the same way.

So all of Main lobby files will be on the dedicated box and Progear connects via remote desktop. You cant get a faster connection than remote desktop with your wireless progear. Instant response time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. I tried Win98 first but ended up installing WinXP and never looked back. You do have to strip it down though to keep it responsive and in the end it'll work better than Win98.

There is a Progear group on Yahoo with a lot of useful information, including drivers and installation guides for all flavors of Windows.

As far as controlling the HTPC: if you have a 3rd computer, then doing the remote desktop into it will be your best bet and will allow you to run tools like MainLobby nicely. If you decide to run them on the Progear however, you will find out that most of them are too much for the tablet to handle. I had to write my own slim Flash client application for DVD and TV control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Mario's right, now I have a ton more information but also more questions! If you have the time & patience to look over this lo-o-ong message, I'd appreciate any feedback or thoughts you might have.

OS: So far, it sounds as though Windows XP is the way to go on the ProGear. Although, if I go with the XP Remote Desktop option, I don't need the client machine to run XP, do I? I'm going to send my ProGear to the people at www.progear-repair.com and get the upgrade, probably to XP but maybe to 98 or 2000 depending on the answers to the following questions.

The next issue is how to make it interact with the HTPC - I can't go through a third, "intermediate" computer because I'd have to buy yet another one (I don't keep my regular computer on 24/7, but the intermediate computer would have to do so) and I think my husband just might divorce me if I do that. :)

Option #1 - Remote Desktop. Is it supposed to work better on client machines running XP as opposed to 98 or 2000? If not, do I still need/want XP if I go this route? Also, if I use this option, I can only use one connected computer at a time, right? I don't care about not using the HTPC directly, but I may want the option of connecting additional ProGears at a later time, which might run simultaneously. (It would also still run over WiFi, so I don't understand why it's supposed to be faster than other options, but this will have to remain an unsolved mystery.)

Option #2 - Run MainLobby on the ProGear, and use WiFi to connect to the HTPC via Girder. But as I understand it, Silviu's experience is that the ProGear probably can't handle Windows XP + all the various bells and whistles that make MainLobby as terrific as it is.

Option #3 - Windows .NET Server. I read on a few threads that Windows .NET Server might provide a way around the issues in Option #1; that is, it would allow multiple, simultaneous connections to the HTPC through an interface similar to XP Remote Desktop. I'm not sure whether my HTPC has enough resources to run it, but it's a possibility.

Option # 4 - Am I forgetting anything????

CONCLUSION (for the moment, anyway)... I think I'll go with Remote Desktop, as you all have highly recommended it, and cross the "multiple ProGear" bridge when I come to it. I've signed up at Microsoft's web page to try out the .Net server - if it works, great, but if it doesn't, no problem. I'll probably go with Windows XP unless I'm told that Remote Desktop will work equally well/fast/efficiently on Windows 98 or 2000.

Again, thank you very much for all of your help. Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Option # 4 - Am I forgetting anything????
Check out HouseBot . The Software Remote won't run on Linux, but if you change the OS to Windows it should work on the ProGear.

Scott

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just thought I would give this a bump, I'm curious if anyone else has any comments to DLKSF post.

I'm considering the progear myself.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.