AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see this posted lately except in the ReplayTV forum, so...

SonicBlue is mass-emailing the following offer for the Progear 1050 with Win98SE or Linux. Not cheap at $600, but one of the more capable models in this price range that I've seen.

Progear Tablet PC

Yet when I tried to order one it listed as Out of Stock. Customer support says it has been out of stock for a while, but they were happy to take an order for it, claiming they would not charge my credit card till it's ready to ship.

-yogaman

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi, Yogaman!

Sorry, I posted a new thread on this one in parallel with you! I guess we'll have to see how this works out, but it looks like a great deal. I've been using an iPaq with Bluetooth until now - moving up to 802.11B and a 10.4" XGA screen will rock!

Have Fun!

MarkF

·
Registered
564 Posts
umm.....???

They are now charging $3,299.00 for it.

Not such a good deal anymore.;) but you get a free keyboard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well it's not exactly a Tablet PC. Tablet Pc are something Toshiba and other hardware manufacturer are going to realease soon and are full featured windows XP pc with MS Ink software and other goodies that are not present on that thing :) IMHO Tablet pc are going to be really exciting (played with one at Teched2002)... this is "mehhh".... :D

GloP

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well even though I am not spending my hard earnt on one they sure do look nice... The link above gave a 599 price to me...

Also Tablet PC's may be something MS are now pushing but have been around for a while... The fujitsu's we got were 'tablet PCs' even with thier 100Mhz processors...

Of course MS wants to get more networked machines into the home market and so Mira Laptops / Tablet machines are all part of that gameplan...

·
Registered
888 Posts
This puppy looks like what a lot of us were hoping for when we picked up an epod. But, at $600 it is way too much. Bring it down to $300 and I am there.

Did anyone else catch the portrait mode? That is slick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,

I was one of original developers that designed the ProGear. It's a great device for Web browsing and remote control. Let me know if you have any problem or need help.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The 510's have really given me the taste for a real tablet but I need XGA minimum and a docking station is desirable...

These look nice but I am just spending like no tommorrow at the moment !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure SonicBlue carries them anymore. We had designed two docks for ProGear, both can charge ProGear while it's being used. The full feature one has powered USB ports and charges the second battery at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi, Folks!

I just received an email confirming that my ProGear tablet shipped even though the website had claimed it was out of stock when I ordered!

Niner: Outstanding news - thank you very much for the offer!

Cheers!

MarkF

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just checked my order status with Customer Support. Pat confirmed that Josh had set up the order and was just waiting for the confirmation number which usually takes 24 hours. (I'm in Hour 17 now.) She said that even though the web site shows out-of-stock that there are units in stock, and my order will almost certainly go through.

Niner: The $599.00 includes the stand and the AC adapter, and something called a AAA Backup Battery, but not the docking station. (Keyboard, stylus, rechargeable battery and embedded 802.11b card - not to mention the $49-replacement-cost protective cover! - also incl.) Josh did confirm that the docking station is available, but the price at SB is $199.00. That seems steep for basically a 4-port USB hub.

Anyone with money left in your pockets may now envy my poverty.

-yogaman

P.S. That makes two consecutive courteous, helpful phone calls, each with minimal Wait-Hold time! Thank you, Sonic Blue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ok, I am confused. I see the $599 price but when I try to add it a shopping cart is comes up as $3299. I would really like to pick one of these up at $599 - any idea what is going on?

Larry

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, $199 docking station for $3299 ProGear is not that bad. But paying $199 with a $599 ProGear doesn't worth it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Go to the specials / Powerbuys section on here and you will see they have worked something out With AVS...

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just called customer service and they told me they are completely out of them and they are discontinued so no more will be available. :mad:

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Coming out with something that only does 98 (as apposed to XP) at this point seems like a loser to me.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I ordered one June 7th (very late) and it said they were out, but it still took my order and showed it for $599 in the shopping cart. I just recently got confirmation mine shipped. They seemed to cheap to pass up. They are at least $1050 on eBay.

On the strange side, I got an e-mail asking to confirm my name and address or my order would be cancelled. It came from an address at digitalriver.com, so I thought it might be fraud. I called the customer service number and they answered right away and told me to go ahead and confirm the address and everything was ready to go. Nice.

I think this tablet may be just what I need for the bedside...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I broke down and ordered one today myself. I didn't want to spend the $$, but this is a great deal and I've been waiting for something in that form factor to be affordable.

I received the same confirm address message from digital river. Hopefully I wasn't too late with my order!

My confirmation email was clear that a status of 'backordered' only means that it hasn't shipped, and that it did not mean the item is not in stock.

Looking at my order status it's 'pending shipment', so hopefully I'll get one.

Brian

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still can't get the SonicBlue web page to take my order. I've now tried from three computers. And yet I see no one else posting about ongoing problems with ordering. I'm baffled.

And I haven't yet received confirmation that my attempt to bypass these web page issues via phone on Thursday was successful.

(A followup call on Friday afternoon was non-productive because they closed Customer "Care" 90 minutes early. SB's CC is an M-F 8:30-5:30* operation. *except last Friday)

Well, I hope the rest of you enjoy these fruits of the dot-com-bust harvest.

-yogaman

P.S. Dean: These are almost certainly discontinued products. I've never seen a new product discounted 82% from MSRP at launch. And, has anyone confirmed that it's impossible to put XP on this platform?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.