AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks as if a few days ago, my ReplayTV stopped being able to connect to the network for program guide data. I've tried clearing the program guide and going through the setup process again, but it can't connect reliably enough there either.

It's an AT&T-branded ReplayTV box, which I think is equivalent to a 3xxx series? I'm in Cambridge, MA.

The failure seems to be random... sometimes the phone isn't answered, sometimes the modem hangs up part way through, sometimes I get the "network link is down" message.

The really frustrating thing is that the ReplayTV box is sitting right next to my broadband router... If only it had an ethernet connection...

Is there any way to retrofit a 3xxx to connect other than via phone? Is there an upgrade offer from a 3xxx box to a 4500? I'd consider the 4500, but the activation fee is really unattractive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I should also say that I've tried rebooting the unit and using a different dialup number.

[And also that I'm not a new member, but my account was deleted, presumably due to inactivity... Blah.]

·
Registered
167 Posts
First, I think if you have an AT&T branded box, it's actually running a 2.x version of the software, and if so, you have a tougher go ahead of you. If, on the other hand, you're running the 3.x software, there was an update sent down a while ago that included a modem control panel that allows you to make your modem connect at a lower speed. This seems to solve connection problems for many people. (I believe you can determine what version of software you're running by doing 411-Zones, double check the FAQ if that doesn't work.)

If you are indeed at a 2.x version of the software, then you can't get the modem panel. I don't know if it's possible to hack the panel in (like people did when JustBen first wrote it)? It runs in my mind that it is a 3.0 only deal, but I could be wrong. If it can be hacked in, then you may be able to use that to slow down your modem and solve you problem. (This would involve pulling out the hard drive, and using the extract_rtv utility to copy a file and to copy and edit another file.)

Barring those options, depending on how technically savvy you are, you may be able to connect your Replay to your PC and have your PC proxy the Replay RNS (passing the calls through over your ethernet connection.) Several people on this forum have done things like this.

As a last resort, FlipFlop wired in an external modem, and I think he also successfully connected with his serial port.

I think the above options are roughly in order of increasing difficulty. Do some searches on the forum and you'll find a wealth of information.

Good luck,

--Joe

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There was a 3.x software release for AT&T models, named 3.1, a little after the 3.0 release. I dunno whether it ever got the modem control panel, and if got an update equivalent to 3.03 it was never mentioned here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I just managed to get the box to connect. Looks like it's the ol' modem speed problem. Following the instructions in the FAQ, I left my phone off the hook while the ReplayTV was dialling out, and it connected at a slower speed and successfully downloaded everything in about 12-15 minutes.

My guess is that either AT&T improved the quality of my phone line, or Earthlink (or whoever it is the ReplayTV dials in to) upgraded their modems.

I don't have a modem control panel, as far as I know, so I guess I'm going to have to try some other kind of hack. It strikes me that the cleanest and easiest solution would be to solder together something to slightly degrade the quality of the phone line! I don't care if it takes twice as long to connect, so long as it connects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.