AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been unsuccessful trying to find a network style programmable thermostat set-up which I can control temperature in individual rooms by opening and closing registers as needed.

For instance if my living room is 70`, but my HT is 74, and I want it cooler, I want the Air conditioner to come on to cool the HT but shut the registers in the living room.

I know both thermostatically controlled registers, and programmable thermostats exist,but I can't find a system that communicates together.

Anyone?

Clay

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Clay, I don't know about registers, but there are zone control systems that use dampers in the duct work which open and close to control the temp in different rooms depending on what the thermostat is set on in each room.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
RCS has zoneable dampers, controllers and thermostats. Also 2 way with a PC HA system that can put some smarts into when you want to cool that theater (when you want to use it), or some of the newer security systems.

You could also do this using PC as the logic instead of the dedicated controller. I don't usually recommend a PC system to control overall HVAC, but for secondary purposes, no reason why not as the house won't freeze no matter what. Might not be an issue in NC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That gives me a little direction. I'll let you know what I do ultimately.

Clay

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Keep in mind that you'll need to make sure you don't have huge back-pressure into the furnace. There's a few threads over on CQC that discuss some guidance there, IIRC it was something like "make sure there's no possibility that >(n%) of the output isn't off".

That sol'n may not be the right one, I'm seriously not an expert in this area, so all i'm saying is to investigate that.

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB /forum/post/0

Keep in mind that you'll need to make sure you don't have huge back-pressure into the furnace. There's a few threads over on CQC that discuss some guidance there, IIRC it was something like "make sure there's no possibility that >(n%) of the output isn't off".

That sol'n may not be the right one, I'm seriously not an expert in this area, so all i'm saying is to investigate that.

I have 3 units broken up into 3 zones each for a total of 9 zones. To eliminate the back-pressure, you need a pressure relief valve which basically 'dumps' the air flow back into the return to relieve the pressure off of the fan. It is a weighted valve that adjusts based on the air flow.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I'm a HVAC tech. Zone dampers will work. However, it will work better with heat than A/C. The A/C coil is designed to have a certain amount (CFM) of air circulated through it. Reducing that amount frequently causes frozen coils with higher head pressures resulting in premature eja......ooops compressor failure. My suggestion is to attempt to balance the system by opening and closing dampers. If its A/C we're talking about, the warmest room dampers should be full open and the coldest rooms should be restricted.

Chip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.