Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've programmed my own DVD player that uses the WinDVD DirectShow filters iviaudio.ax and ivivideo.ax. I bought WinDVD for its picture quality, but I don't like it's GUI and it's missing too many standard image manipulation features... It's also just too un-user-friendly in general.

Anyway, I'm getting near-perfect results (my code is based on the DirectX8 DVD Sample app), but I'm unable to get DTS pass-thru working. When I run the same DVD with WinDVD the normal way, it has no problem passing DTS via iviaudio.ax to S/PDIF Out.

I'm guessing there is some hidden API or registry setting that "turns on" DTS since it's probably existing in their trial version and once you pay for it, they turn it on at run-time.

Has anyone done anything similar to this... writing their own player but using someone else's filters? Anyone able to get DTS pass-thru this way? Perhaps you know of another DTS pass-thru filter I could try?

Thanks!

-Eric

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Eric:

___If I am not mistaken, I thought Blight (creator of DVD Genie) and owner of the DVD Infomatrix site was working on a player of his own. I may be mixed up on this??? You may want to contact him in regards to your questions since if he is coding his own, he most certainly would know about the filter questions. He also frequents the HT Computer forums as well if that helps.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
729 Posts

Play around with the DX Grapher tool, to see if you got all pins right on the filter.

------------------

/Sören

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the leads!

Sören, by "DX Grapher" do you mean the Graph Edit program that comes with the DX8 SDK? I have used that a lot during development. The funny thing is, when I insert a DVD Navigator Filter and tell it to "Render" the AC3 pin, it inserts the iviaudio.ax automatically. Then when I "Play" then full graph and use the DVD Navigator's properties page to navigate and select DTS audio via the DVD's menu screens, I get picture with no sound. Only DD and Prologic audio gets passed through correctly.

Thanks!

-Eric

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Isn't DTS just unencapsulated PCM audio? As such, it may not need decoded per se and might not even use the IVI audio filter...

It's something I've been confused about for a while (especially why it seems so difficult to do), and would be interested in hearing an educated answer.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 06-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Dan:

DTS on CD is "encapsulated" PCM, but not on DVD. It's packetized data that I believe is very similar to Dolby Digital.

On the home side of things, the problems we had initially with DVD were "Table of Contents" issues. The first generation DVD players did not recognize the DTS flag (It had not been finalized when the first players were engineered.)and reverted to the audio default setting which was Dolby Digital.

Perhaps, the DVD player issues you're trying to solve have a similar origin.

Jeff Hipps

Sherwood America

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan, I'm sorry I can't answer your question about DTS and unencapsulated PCM, but even if that were the case, there needs to be a "pass-thru" or "null" filter between the AC3 output pin of the DVD Navigator, and the S/PDIF input pin of the sound device because their pins are not compatible for DirectShow pin connections.

And that's what the iviaudio.ax filter does for DTS... it's input pin is compatible with the DVD Navigator, and it's output pin is compatible with the sound device, and depending on your DVD Genie settings, it'll either try to decode it for you or simply pass it through for your external decoder to deal with.

But, you're right, the ivi filter doesn't need to be there for DTS pass-thru, but some type of "just translate the pins and pass the stream through" filter does. It's like buying an audio cable with RCA plug on one end and BNC on the other... the DirectShow filter equivalent to that is needed http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

-Eric

·
Registered
850 Posts

ericschmidt:

Any chance of making this open source? I'm more interested in having a subtitler engine to an existing DVD engine - this way I can watch those Region 2 Anime DVDs with fansub scripts.

------------------

Ciao.

Muljadi Budiman

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've decided to delve into DirectShow filter programming. I'm going to try to make my own AC3 passthru filter. I can tell this will take some doing because not even the DX8 NullIP Sample filter can handle the task as is! i.e. Using GraphEdit... DVD Navigator AC3 output pin connected to iviaudio.ax's input pin works fine, but if you try to insert the NullIP filter between the DVD Navigator and iviaudio.ax, there's an ASSERT() inside strmbase.lib's transip.cpp file.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on my progress (if I can get anywhere with it...)

-Eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've thought about going open source on this. It sure would help if there are multiple experts fixing their favorite portions of the product. I've tried messing with the subtitles, trying to add the feature of setting their offset on the screen and so forth, but couldn't get it to work right away. Also, as the product is now, it's totally fine-tuned to run on my system with my particular hardware, but after awhile, people could start making it work on their system, hence the beauty of open source http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif So, yeah, I may go that route with it.

-Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.