AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an old JVC receiver that finally bit the dust so I went and purchased the new Denon about 2-3 weeks ago. I only got the proper cables today so I haven't been playing with it for too long yet. Here are my current connections.

1) Cable box via HDMI to TV with digital audio output to receiver

2) PS3 going HDMI to receiver

3) Wii going component to TV with composite cables going to receiver

4) Computer going VGA to TV, audio going composite to TV. I always have music playing via my computer and I have in ceiling speakers all over my house and each room has it's own volume control.

So far so good and everything is working but I still have some questions. I also have a harmony remote so once I program it again everything will be a breeze.

Now as for the receiver, are the settings the same for each input or do they change? For example, I have the front speakers going into a speaker distribution system powering a bunch of speakers around my house. When listening to music all around my house I would prefer if I could keep the speakers playing the bass and have the sub be silent. When I want to watch a movie I'd like the sub to come back and take the bass away from the speakers. Is this a possibilty by using my harmony remote? If so, what should I set the frequency setting thing on the sub settings from 80-250?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88,968 Posts
You would likely have been better served with the 1712 as it offers a seperate STEREO setting that would have allowed you to turn the sub OFF. With the 1612, you can use the remote control button to turn the sub off by reducing the audio all the way down.

For more information about your new 1612, review posts #1-6 in the Denon AVR XX12 Owner's thread linked in my sig and post any additional questions there. For Auyssey setup, review the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my sig as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can program my harmony to turn the sub volume down if I hit the "listen to music" button I programmed, and then when I hit my "watch a movie" button I can program the sub volume to come back?

I do a similar function with my remote control light dimmers. I think I had to add a few "lights down" commands to my programming to bring the lights to the correct level I wanted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be great if possible. Then I could have 2 different buttons on my remote to listen to music. One to listen without the sub, one to listen with the sub.

While we're at it, as I mentioned I have speakers in every room of my house with volume controls in each room. I only have a single sub in my living room with my TV and I live in a 2 story house. I do have an audio distribution amp that has composite inputs so I was thinking about running my sub output from the receiver into the distribution amp and then run to my upstairs sub and to a new downstairs sub. That way I have my speakers AND sub and both levels of the house. I'm assuming that won't be a problem, right?

·
Registered
185 Posts
There's a much simpler solution than that:

Set your sub to LFE only. Now it will only play when there is information available in the .1 channel. Stereo music (like the radio for instance) have no information encoded there and the sub won't play.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20915198

^^

That would only work if the OP has the front main speakers set to LARGE and they "should" be set to SMALL in which case the sub "LFE" setting has no effect.

You don't know what a passive speaker selector and local volume controls do to a signal. OP has a non-standard setup. In this case the speakers should be set to large. The bass will naturally be sucked out by his VCs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts