AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently starting programming the remote on my VSX74. I programmed my remote using the multifunction capabilities to turn on various components. I set it up to turn on my receiver, tv, and SAT. Followed the rather straight forward instructions. When I push the multifunction button and then SAT. It turns on all the components at the same time except for one weird thing. After turning everything on, it switches the receiver input to IPOD, everytime. I erased the settings and started over. Same thing. Weird. Anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
I use a Harmony 688 remote with my 74txvi and it works great. I only used the 74txvi remote when I did the initial set up or for any changes I do in the set up. The Harmony is very easy to program online on their website. Also it is back lit which the 74's is not.

Bill

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What can the Harmony 688 remote do that the Pioneer remote cannot?

Ok, it may be easier to program but how many times do you program your remote?

This seems to be a problem with the boot cycle on the receiver not a difficult programming issue.

I would love to hear a comparison of remotes, if you have the time.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283
What can the Harmony 688 remote do that the Pioneer remote cannot?

Ok, it may be easier to program but how many times do you program your remote?

This seems to be a problem with the boot cycle on the receiver not a difficult programming issue.

I would love to hear a comparison of remotes, if you have the time.

Thanks
I really can not compare the two as I have not used the 74's remote other than initial set up. What I like about the 688 is once you program all your components all you have to do is push the "Watch DVD" button at the top of the remote and everything is turned on to the correct inputs. If you want to watch a TV program after watching a DVD just hit the "Watch TV" button and it will turn on everything relating to watching TV (Sat or cable box). At the same time it will turn off your DVD player as well.

What I did not like at all about the 74's remote is that you have to cycle thru the inputs to get to the one you want, unlike the Denons I have had that have specific buttons for each input. The other plus is makes turning on the system very simple for my family where before even with all components in one remote you have to switch receiver and TV inputs. If you like the 74 remote use it but the Harmony makes life a lot easier with a fairly complex system like mine. Program the Harmony once and thats it unless you add or change components.

Bill

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see your point Bill. A lot of what you describe is doable with the 74 remote however, instead of one button to turn on everything it's two. Sounds like I need to invest in a Harmony to see for myself whether it's worth the extra $$. I can always return it. ;)

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.