AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why programming on some of my TWC channels start 1-2 minutes past the hour or half hour - HistoryHD, AEHD? It's really annoying for recording!

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's more than just those two channels. Pretty much all of mine here in El Paso start late. If I am recording, I always add a minute or two to the start time.

What is stranger still, I can go from one room to another watching without the cable box and be quite a few seconds different.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Many channel content providers do it delibertly so that channel changers can still see the entire progam if they select thier channel last and then they are also can not change to another channel when a program ends later then scheduled and see the programs when they start.

Also ccable company PVR STBs delay slightly (a few seconds) the programs they receive for two reasons. First they want to make sure if there is any minor delay in the cable signal they are receiving that you do not see it since their incoming buffer will absorb it. Also since they provide the abillity to time shift all progams watched they buffer up all input and then periodically write the time shift buffer to disk and they need to insure that the signal they are outputting to the viewer when the buffer is being written does not get interupted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp /forum/post/18277925

It's more than just those two channels. Pretty much all of mine here in El Paso start late. If I am recording, I always add a minute or two to the start time.

What is stranger still, I can go from one room to another watching without the cable box and be quite a few seconds different.

I'd like to be able to do that, but then I have to be very specific about my recordings and monitor conflicts diligently.

If I have a recording that starts 7:31 and ends at 8:01, but I have 2 shows that I want to record at 8:00, then recording of one of my shows at 8:00 has to be canceled because of the 1 minute overrun...

It's pretty frustrating and I'm trying to understand if there's a reason behind it other than to be annoying.

Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18284652

Many channel content providers do it delibertly so that channel changers can still see the entire progam if they select thier channel last and then they are also can not change to another channel when a program ends later then scheduled and see the programs when they start.

Also ccable company PVR STBs delay slightly (a few seconds) the programs they receive for two reasons. First they want to make sure if there is any minor delay in the cable signal they are receiving that you do not see it since their incoming buffer will absorb it. Also since they provide the abillity to time shift all progams watched they buffer up all input and then periodically write the time shift buffer to disk and they need to insure that the signal they are outputting to the viewer when the buffer is being written does not get interupted.

I'm sorry - I really want to understand this, but am lost in the translation. Would you please clarify?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
They don't want you to switch to another channel, so they run a little over. By that time the show on the other channel will have already started so you won't bother to switch.

It also makes it difficult to DVR the other channels shows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts