AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well, maybe, just depends on which Replay remote. I think there are about 5 different varieties. Some can and some can't.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, I do have a jp1 interface on my ReplayTV remotes. Can anyone recommend which buttons to replace to control a dvd player? I assume buttons can't serve two purposes (replaytv and dvd), right? FWIW, I use the TV mode on the remote already. Any advice appreciated from someone who's actually done this.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimholtz /forum/post/0

...I assume buttons can't serve two purposes (replaytv and dvd), right?

Yes they can. In this *case* I would load the extender (you can read all about it on the jp1 forum) and set up a new device for the player using logical transport buttons.

The 5K remote remains my preferred remote of all those I've used (any price) to this day.

And for the record I'm all in favor of the case mod. However I'd never power it up unattended (off bench) simply for insurance concerns and the hassle of explaining to the fire marshall (in court) what happened there.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:

More than a good universal remote?

Better than any universal I've used including Harmony, Pronto, and their ilk. I consider it my simple Functional remote since it does everything I do on a daily basis. Channel, volume, transport, input, menu... for the primary A/V items. For advanced or housekeeping activities it's easier for me to pull out the original remotes for the components, than to try every button to find out where functions were programmed in some *activities* scheme or complex nested hierarchy of *everything*, translated-national-archives dewey-decimal-mapping. BTW for the life of me I can't make an ipod operate effectively any more than I can web surf on an Apple of any scion/rootstock. Just all thumbs without my other mouse button. An astronaut sinking under water. Forget that booping TiVo. Fortunately for me AOL is all but no longer.

I prefer things simple, direct, and full function. Logical. Don't want to learn some brand new cartoon sentence structure and jump through a zillion hoops all over again just to get from point a to point b.

jp1 does encompass the commitment of a learning curve for most. But to me the ensuing productivity and enhanced A/V experience is very well worth it. And as you can imagine the 5K remote makes for simple, nimble, to-the-point DVD control.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I personally prefer the Harmony 659 since you can label and move buttons on a screen and all the extra functions of any remote are in the screen. All the normal functions have dedicated buttons. Plus, the Harmony remotes are backlit. The programming is fairly straight forward and it comes with a USB cable. I got one for about $50 from eBay. I haven't had a better remote in my life. I also use a URC-8910 with independent directional buttoms that I program through JP1 and I have done the same with the ReplayTV remote. The programming is actually easier than you might think.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I like the RCU810. I used it even before I started messing with JP1. If you don't want to take the time (a lot) to learn and program using JP1 then I suggest the RCA RCU810. You can get them cheap on ebay and they already have replay codes built in. You can learn the ones that aren't mapped.

JP1 is cool. I got my remote working perfectly using JP1 extender.

-mk

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the reviews. As much as I want to hack my remotes via JP1, I don't think I'll find the time to do it. As for cost, I see the JP1 to PC interface is about $14... yet for another $10 I can get the RCU810 (used) that mikek mentioned. I'm either going to go with that or the Harmony 659 dvasco recommended.

Anyone know where can I read comparisons/reviews of these models? Maybe AVSForum has a "remote control" forum... gotta check.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for all the reviews. As much as I want to hack my remotes via JP1, I don't think I'll find the time to do it. As for cost, I see the JP1 to PC interface is about $14... yet for another $10 I can get the RCU810 (used) that mikek mentioned. I'm either going to go with that or the Harmony 659 dvasco recommended.

Anyone know where can I read comparisons/reviews of these models? Maybe AVSForum has a "remote control" forum... gotta check.

Yes, but you won't have dedicated jump/back buttons where they belong.

I have an RCU810, with JP1 programming no less, that was shelved in favor of the 5000 series remote. It controls both Replay units and the TV. I'm still at 2 remotes, since the remote that came with my Kenwood THX receiver learned everything I threw at it. (I pick it up when it's DVD movie time.) One day, I'll get around to remote consolidation, but the JP1-programmed 5000 remote works well for everyday TV/Replay use.

I've owned remotes with LCD touchscreens. There's an ambiguity to the feel. It's much better to have real buttons.

·
Registered
588 Posts
On the Harmony 659 I changed the FF/REW buttons to Jump/Back since I use those more and placed the FF/REW into the programmable screen. I also placed LIVETV and RTV Menu in the programmable screen.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek /forum/post/0

I used the L2 as instant replay and L3 as quick skip. You can set the buttons any way you want.

-mk

OK, I don't have the RCU810 yet so I'm not exactly sure what that means, but are you saying you disagree with sixt7gt350's comment: "you won't have dedicated jump/back buttons where they belong"?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt7gt350 /forum/post/0

Yes, but you won't have dedicated jump/back buttons where they belong.

I have an RCU810, with JP1 programming no less, that was shelved in favor of the 5000 series remote...

Similar here.

Talk about going back to the dark ages. Back in the day of 2xxx Replay, the 810 was my favorite universal. Had minimal Replay/TiVo functions (supplemented) in the ever limited learning slots. Thought I was sure cooking. But then those *easy* plans emerged for one of the early *difficult* jp1 interfaces. So I had to tear open the 810 and add the pins. The perf board jp1 interface went smoother than the remote hack -- while in there I managed to hose the RCA backlight. So I had to pry it open again and futz with that for half a day more. But I got it all back together working and went jp1-ing to town.

Once I had the freedom to do almost anything with the keys, the shortcomings of the RCU810 became more evident. So I instead added my TiVo codes to my (then) brand new 3xxx remote. Also transitioned over to 15-1994s, since they were all the goodness of the 810 but with transport keys I could (almost) live with. Mostly used the 2xxx, 3xxx remotes continuing through the heady boom era of the the 4xxx.

When I got my first 5040 I thought the remote was so ugly I instantly hated it. I kept using the OEM 2xxx/3xxx and 15-1994s because, truth be told, the attractive *bright pig* (4xxx remote) was lacking depth-of-usefulness, to put it nicely. During that period waiting for "interop" an early update rendered my only 5xxx so (reliably) unstable -- it was all but unusable. Sometime in there I started using the 5xxx remote (on 4xxx and 3xxx Replays) and I was hooked @ once on the Ingenious Ergonomics. Almost begrudgingly Alcatraz finally came spooling down. My lone 5xxx once again got my attention. All on its own it soared to dizzying new heights of viewing efficiency.

I traded in the 4xxx for 5xxx #2, and within a month got a 5xxx #3. Naturally loaded multiple unit codes, and it's been practically smooth sailing ever since. I've seriously worn the silver powder coat off one 5K remote. Looks dreadful but works a charm. I continue testing anything and everything in search of a (possibly) better alternative but haven't found it.

(I'm reasonably certain it won't be a Harmony)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:

Why couldn't I use the back button on the RCU810 as a dedicated ReplayTV jump/back button?

At one time or another I put QuickSkip and InstantReplay on the 810 Enter and TV/VCR buttons since the color matched and the placement works.

(sorta where they belong?)

Ultimately what I didn't like about the RCU810 is the round robin transport buttons on the down-low. Just doesn't work well for one handed remote jockeys. Not comfortably for ordinary-to-larger hands anyway. If you persistently use two hands ever time you raise the remote (or perhaps have smaller hooves?) it may be a better fit? It's really a fine universal for most any use but DVR, DVD, or anything with significant transport activity. You'll probably break your thumb (toes?) continually struggling for transport.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:

...I used to enjoy this kind of thing very much--building computers, building A/V systems, etc. In fact, my first job out of college (1992) was in a PC/printer/LAN repair shop. Loved it. But now it just bugs me. The less I have to install, configure, fiddle with the better. Stability and reliability are more important to me now than bleeding-edge, modding ability, and hackability.

I'm kind of surprised but also tend to agree. I think the thing about jp1 is it saves time in the long run because you can use it to directly do what needs to be done to your remote without a lot of extra ruckus, adapting to new paradigms, and learning unnecessarily unintuitive systems or routines.

And it's also pretty satisfying achieving an end run around all the foofy bloated chaos and expense. Use the remote you already own and improve it for one thing. But also get a cheapo RCU810 and try it out. If you are really gonna use one it's very limited without full control (the simple interface cable) and ability to instantly backup and restore your minor or advanced customizations. And once you are fat and happy, in a few clicks clone it all to another one. And keep several around for that price.

Of course an issue with the RCU810 you will need to crack it open and solder those pins in there. A gob of vinyl tape and hot-glue won't readily work for that. Some may have already have pins installed -- something to check. So you get some random RCU810, program the Replay code that is already included. Next go through the procedure to learn the critical functions not included. Control your ReplayTV!

cow mode/on

But heres the rub. While you are at it, also get or make that interface cable. While using the minimally tweaked 810 to casually watch ReplayTV... make a jp1 backup of the OEM 5K remote -- just a few clicks. Then you can (if the mood ever strikes) spend and hour or 2 with the entirely free software and see if you can make anything happen. If you mess up, in a few clicks you can reload the backup and be back to normal. If, on the other hand, you can make it work... then the most intense part is still ahead. Sitting down and planning (and simplifying) (then ditching all the seldom needed functions) and ultimately determining how you *need* it all to work. Go ahead and remove 3 more keys you never actually used in the last six months. Once you get that mapped out in a way that is usable, easy to remember, and gets all the important stuff done... using the most logical and least excess of buttons... then you are *almost* there. Enter and arrange the function codes. Test it all out and then forget it. All done. A few more clicks later to have another identical remote in case something happens to either of the first. Change the battery? Dog ate the remote? You don't have to give yourself a headache re-tweaking the new one from scratch.

end cow mode.

For someone who could tape off numerous harness wires in one of the bolder case mods in ReplayTV history, and meticulously document the madness for all to see... for said bonifide ReplayTV(Freak) not to experience the successes, the agony of defeat, and all the intricate simplicity made possible by the army of hackers of the jp1??? Defies logic. The typical bovinoid is really only as burnt out as the square of the distance from yesterday to the slaughterhouse. As long as you still have hooves, you can trudge forward fearlessly and foolishly down the winding path to a new tommorrow. With a few more (or less) regrets.

Oops... cow mode was/off.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:

OK, I don't have the RCU810 yet so I'm not exactly sure what that means, but are you saying you disagree with sixt7gt350's comment: "you won't have dedicated jump/back buttons where they belong"?

L1 and L3 are way up top, right below the device selection buttons.

The "go back" button is where I would expect the skip button.

The "input" button is where I would expect the back button.

The transport buttons are at the bottom, nowhere near where they need to be.

I would say that with a bit of button relocation, the RCU810 could be a great remote. As it is, you'd have to learn the functions where they feel right and ignore all the button labels.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Of course with ordinary learning you only get a total of about 16 keys, so you can't move them all. And certain keys are invalid for learning. Can't remember how keymoves tallied up against memory capacity. Using jp1 alleviates much of those challenges.

At one time I believe I put RR, Play, and FF on INPUT, CODE SEARCH, and GO BACK which felt right.... with IR and QS on M1, M3. I suspect I had to use an extender to make the CODE SEARCH button available.

The only problem with that arrangement (or any really) is having to backlight to *find* the buttons when grabbing the RCU810 in the dark. And of course having a cheat sheet to remember which buttons are which. And a flashlight to read the cheat sheet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.