AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm starting the process of choosing a LCD / DLP projector for my HT but first I must clarify a couple of points, so please bear with me the following newbie questions:

a) in terms of image quality does it make sense to compare the result of a progressive scanning system (dvd + display) in NTSC with a 100 Hz refresh rate TV + dvd (non progressive) in PAL ? (probably a completely stupid question ....)

b) would it be perceptible the improvement of image quality from interlaced to progressive in PAL ?

c) can one state: progressive scan is only dependent on the reader (e.g. dvd) and display (e.g. projector) and not on the actual dvd contents (media) or encoding system (pal, ntsc, etc) ?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
art_pr,

I can't speak to PAL but my understanding is

progressive is always better than not. There is a caveat however. Direct view crt is ok in interlaced since the viewing distance generally allows for a small field of view.

Bad de-interlacing can be very tough to sit through. This is very apparent with the large screen sizes of FP.

All of the lcd and dlp FP's are inherently progressive devices, so the question becomes whether or not to let the often poor de-interlacer /scaler in the PJ handle the job or do it externally.

If you have not already read this primer or are not familiar with this material this is a good info link:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.