AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I am a 1st gen owner, and it sucks. No, I will never buy another TV from Mitsubishi.

That being said, here is my question. I have a DTC-100 connected to the RGB input of my TV. Everything coming out now uses component 480p which I want to use, but can't, or can I?

I don't want to change the mode to 480p in the service menu every time I want to watch a DVD, or play on the new Gamecube (480p component output), or Xbox when it comes out. I also do not want to build a HTPC. So, what are my options?

My receiver can switch component inputs, and I'm not against changing my STB to a newer model and getting a Component-RGB converter (which I have now, I think, from copperbox.com).

I guess what I need is a device that can take all these signals, switch them easily and convert them somehow to 1080i. Is there such a thing? At a reasonable price?

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Quote:
I guess what I need is a device that can take all these signals, switch them easily and convert them somehow to 1080i. Is there such a thing? At a reasonable price?
In a word, NO.

You can get a video processor like the ROCK or Vigatec to name a few that would do switching for you, but for the price you could easily trade in your current 65903 for a new model and get the support your looking for.

One more thing. You can't blame Mits on this one. The 65903 was out before the current wave of 480P DVD players. The real blame should be for their CVT10 converter for the HD400 STB that should also accept 480p as well as 1080i. Thats where they dropped the ball....

------------------

Steve,

(STOP DFAST SUPPORTER)

[This message has been edited by Steve Richards (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Mark:

Some of us with first generation Mits HDTVs have made a recent discovery regarding service menu adjustments needed to display 480p signals which bears directly on your predicament.

Please read this thread from the Home

TheaterSpot Forum's Mitsubishi Tweaks section. I suggest that you start your reading at my May 25th posting.
Changing the Mits 1999 (xxx03) to 480p

Up until now it was thought that after making the necessary service menu adjustments to display 480p signals, first generation Mits HDTVs would no longer be able to display 540p/1080i signals without reversing the changes. This is not entirely correct.

A service menu change can be made in which your HDTV will continue to display HD (540p/1080i) signals on the HD input (the input following Antenna B as you cycle through the input selections) while 480p signals are displayed on all other inputs selections(Inputs 1 through 4, and Antenna A&B)simultaneously.

This means that if all signals are applied to the HD RGBHV input, and they are limited exclusively to 480p, 540p or 1080i signals, then it will no longer be necessary to continuously switch setting back and forth in the service menu.

This permits you to use a suitable video processor to pass through HD signals to the RGBHV inputs, and to convert all standard NTSC 480i signals to 480p and apply them to the RGBHV input. In additon to the processors that Steve mentioned, the Crystalimage (CI) should work as well.

So for example, if you choose to use the CI here's what you could do:

Connect a standard DVD player to the component inputs of the CI processor, connect the S-video out of the DTC100 to the s-video input of the processor, and connect the VGA out of the DTC100 to the VGA pass through on the video processor. If you wanted to use a VCR you would connect its composite video out to the composite video input of the CI.

For standard 4:3 NTSC signals you could select the 640x480p resolution on the CI, and it would be displayed as a 4:3 480p letterboxed image on your widescreen display on all of your NTSC inputs. (I have a 4:3 HDTV and on my set it would display full screen 480p without letterboxing.)

If you choose to use the HDTV 540p resolution, the NTSC signals would be upconverted to 540p and would be displayed on the HD input selection. I'm not sure, but I believe that this image could be expanded to fill your screen in a manner similar to the way the DCT100 scales NTSC signals.

High definition signals from your DTC100 would continue to be displayed on the Mits HD input selection.

With this arrangement you won't need to buy a component to RBG transcoder, a VGA switcher, or a progressive DVD player to get 480p or 540p signals to display on your HDTV.

Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Larry,

Thanks for the info! This looks like just the thing I need. If I didn't want to use a CI, would this arrangement work:

My receiver can switch component signals, so hook up my new Hughes E86 receiver, Progressive DVD player, and Gamecube or whathaveyou when they are released to the receiver. Hook up the receiver output through a Component-RGB converter and to the TV.

The only unknown is if the converter will take both types of signals (480p and 540p) and convert them properly, and I also loose my VCR, unless there is some type of S-video to component cable out there.

With the scaler, though, I wouldn't be able to connect future 480p stuff like the Gamecube or Xbox, PS2 480p outputs, at least I think. The receiver switcher may be the only way for that.

With all this I think I might just buy a new TV. The only problem there is that I've built the TV into the wall in my finished basement, so I would need an exact same size/shape tv, and I think the new models are changed. I guess I could try and find a 905 somewhere.

Thanks again

Mark

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I'm pretty sure the CI won't take a progressive input on the component. But I suppose you could do as you suggested and get all component output devices (STB/DVD) and switch them through your receiver and then convert to RGB, and with Larrys change it should work.

My apologies, I had forgotten all about that thread over at Hts forum.

------------------

Steve,

(STOP DFAST SUPPORTER)

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Oldenburg:
Larry,

Thanks for the info! This looks like just the thing I need. If I didn't want to use a CI, would this arrangement work:

My receiver can switch component signals, so hook up my new Hughes E86 receiver, Progressive DVD player, and Gamecube or whathaveyou when they are released to the receiver. Hook up the receiver output through a Component-RGB converter and to the TV.

The only unknown is if the converter will take both types of signals (480p and 540p) and convert them properly, and I also loose my VCR, unless there is some type of S-video to component cable out there.

With the scaler, though, I wouldn't be able to connect future 480p stuff like the Gamecube or Xbox, PS2 480p outputs, at least I think. The receiver switcher may be the only way for that.

With all this I think I might just buy a new TV. The only problem there is that I've built the TV into the wall in my finished basement, so I would need an exact same size/shape tv, and I think the new models are changed. I guess I could try and find a 905 somewhere.

Thanks again

Mark
Mark:

Regarding the Component to RGB transcoder, the Key Digital Y-Pr-Pb to RGBHV Transcoder should handle 480p and 540p/1080i.

...and I also loose my VCR, unless there is some type of S-video to component cable out there.

Remember, even if there were such as adapter, its not sufficient just to convert s-video to component. With the service menu changes made to your HDTV you still won't be able to display any 480i signals, including component 480i signals. The only way I know of to continue to use your VCR, and more importantly other NTSC sources, especially standard satellite programming, without having to reverse the menu changes is to use a video processor.

A less expensive video processor than the $1,800 CI is the iScan Pro . It lists for $900. It has the same inputs as the CI, but it doesn't have an HD pass-through connector and it won't do other resolutions besides 480p.

You could make the same connections that I described in my previous posting, except you would send the output of the processor to one of the component inputs of your A/V receiver, and you would connect the HD component output from your Hughes receiver to your A/V receiver. Here's a document describing how to connect the iScan iScan Video Processor Output Cables - Frequently Asked Questions .

You would use a suitable break-out cable to connect the component output of your A/V receiver to the Component to RGBHV transcoder and then an other break-out cable to connect the transcoder to your HDTV's RGBHV input. With this set-up you could still use your proposed arrangement to connect other future progressive devices via your A/V receiver, (assuming you have enough inputs) and you would be able continue to use your VCR and other NTSC sources connected to the processor. Being scaled to 480p your old VHS movies would look better than they ever have, and you would have no need to buy that expensive progressive DVD player because a standard DVD player could now provide a progressive signal. This arrangement should accommodate your desire to be to add new "toys" while extending the life of your custom installation.

You also might consider waiting for the Zenith HD Receiver which is supposed to be available in July. It is reasonably priced, has both component and RGB ouputs, and it is one of the few receivers which will pass through a native 480p and 720p signal, as well as 1080i. (Your set can't handle 720p, but its nice to have in case you do upgrade at a later date.)

Larry

[This message has been edited by LarryChanin (edited 06-04-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.