Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I have a Sony VPH-D50Q projector with the optional RGB Input B board (I believe it is an IFB-12 if memory serves?) The input B board has options in the menus (input configuration) for RGB, component, HDTV (Y Pb Pr), HDTV (GBR), video, and s-video. The stock input A board also has all of these options save video and s-video (which are on seperate inputs)...I used to have a Pioneer changer hooked to an iScan scaler into input B and nothing to input A. I just got a Kenwood DV-5900M with the Faroudja progressive scan chip built-in, but when I set the dip switch on the changer to progressive output, my projector will not lock up no matter if I connect it to Input A or B, and no matter which setting I choose for the input configuration. It does lock up when I select RGB, but of course the colors are off since the component color space is not compatible with RGB. Is there a way to get progressive component into the D50? I do not want to have to buy another input board if it is not necessary. I am suprised it will not lock up to the progressive component when I set the input to HDTV (Y Pb Pr) since I would guess a 480P HDTV broadcast would be identical to progressive DVD. It tries to lock up, and occationally flashes the Kenwood background, but it will not lock on (except in RGB with the wrong colors.) What are my options? I now have the DV-5900M set to output interlaced and an using the iScan so I can get a picture, but that seems like a waste of a great chip in the changer.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is your problem I had th same with G70

1. 5bnc off

2. input A

3. HDTV-YPbPr

4. sync Ext(hv)

5. projector needs to start BEFORE the dvd (I tried 4 times)

do this and the progressive player will work

enjoy

the progressive player should beat the iscan for quality

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Gatherer. I have a D50HTU and had the same problem when I first got my Panasonic RP91 hooked up. Setting to external sync and making sure the DVD player is the last component to fire up solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I got it working. There is an issue though...I sometimes use the DVD player for other displays (it is connected throughout the house) so I cannot turn it off every time I switch to that input on the projector. Is there a way once it is sync'd up that the Sony can save it so it locks on every time, without having to start with a turned off DVD. Even if I switch to my HD reveicer (on input B) and then back, it will freak out if the DVD is still turned on. Any ideas? I already converged and saved the input when I had it locked in.

Also- it looks like this will not work with 5BNC mode on (as Gatherer said above)....is there a workaround? I do not have the HTU version of the D50, so I cannot recall my video memories directly from the remote. I know the 5BNC trick is a good workaround to save different aspect ratios, but it seems it will not work in this case. Anyone know a way around this? When I go into 5BNC mode it is looking for an RGB signal. I am starting to think I should get a component to RGB converter to eliminate all of these issues. Will a 480P signal converted to RGB work they way I want it to?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the questions I posed above, if I do decide to convert the progressive component out from the Kenwood, what box should I use and are there noticeable quality losses or artifacts? I know circuit City had a converter a while back designed to convert the RCA DTC-100's VGA (RGBHV) output to component. Does it work in reverse? I do not want to spend $500+ on the Extron solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.