AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have opinions on a progressive DVD player that can play multiple VCD formats (SVCD, etc.), read most CDR/CDRW, DVD+R/-r, etc. that is fairly decent performance and cost?

I have a Toshiba Progressive DVD now that works very well but does not read VCDs very well. I would like to burn my own and need a player to do so, while still retaining good video quality for my Pioneer HDTV.

Thanks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Philips 962SA will play:

DVD

DVD-R

DVD-RW

DVD+RW

VCD

SVCD

CD-R

CD-RW

I was with a friend when he chucked all the above test discs into my player and they all played. The only thing it doesn't play is mp3 contents. And it's a progressive player with Faroudja chipset.

I'm pretty sure it will play DVD+R as well (as it should be more compatible than DVD+RW), but we couldn't test it due to DVD+R media not being available at the time of testing.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, so far I am looking at the 3 players above. I have not checked on the 962 cost, but the Daewoo and the JVC are under sub $200. Any reason I should look at the Phillips if it is a lot more? From everything I have read, it looks like these 3 all play just about everything thrown at them...

I have a Pioneer 53" RPTV HDTV, and currently an older Toshiba Progressive (I think 5109). I want good Progressive Scan ( I don't think 3:2 pull-down is on my Toshiba, but I like the picture), but want SVCD, VCD, etc. capability.

Thanks..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.