AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this TV, ther are two sets of component inputs. The manual says they are identical and will accept either interlaced or progressive signals. I have a DTC-100 connected to one set (using the RCA transcoder) and the resulting signal "locks" into full mode--i.e. I can not adjust the the aspect ratio.

I just got a progressive DVD player (JVC XVS65GD) that I connected to the other set of inputs. In progressive mode--and I am sure it is in progressive mode--I expected the same thing to happen. But it turns out I can adjust the aspect ratio.

This is not a problem, in fact it may be a benefit, but it seems strange. Does anyone know if this set treats 1080i/540p different than 480p?

Dick Kalagher

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
The progressive DVD player is passing a 480p signal which the TV adjusts to whatever you want. But the DTC is passing a 1080i or 540p signal in the HD frequencies range which the TV treats as as 1080i and won't allow change. For the DTC you have to use the box's aspect controls.

Someone else might me able to give you a more technical explanation, but this is the jist of it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carbo,

Thanks for your reply. I have heard people say that their TVs lock to a progressive 480p signal from a DVD. I was just wondering why the Toshiba does not appear to do this, but does lock to the 540p signal. It would seem to me that if it should treat both the same way.

Dick

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
You would think so, but I think it works on frequency.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Kalagher:

I was just wondering why the Toshiba does not appear to do this, but does lock to the 540p signal. It would seem to me that if it should treat both the same way.

[/b]
Toshiba did this because it is not correct for the TV to lock into FULL for a 480p signal. The TV's that do this have a problem with non-anamorphic DVD's. People who own these TV's that DO lock need to have two connections from the DVD player to the TV (unless the progressive scan is swtichable on the DVD player) so they can watch anamorphic DVD's in progressive and non-anamorphic DVD's without progressive scan.

I think that many of the manufacturers of the TV's that force FULL for 480p on their first generation HDTV's will change this on future models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.