AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know this may boil down to personal opinion, but...

I have a Toshiba MT8 DLP proj with Faroudja DCDi currently running off my old DVD player that only has SVideo (SVHS) out. The picture is pretty darn good too.

Im going to buy a new DVD player anyway, so the next step is to move to component. The key question is....

Would progressive component be significantly better than component with DCDi ?

My dilema is choosing between a Sony DVD player that does both PAL and NTSC progressive or a Pioneer that does SACD and DVDA but only progressive NTSC (most of my DVDs are R2)

I've not seen a player that does prog pal/ntsc and dvda/sacd - although one will appear the moment I buy something else :(

Thoughts welcomed..

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Get two players. Keep PAL DVDs in PAL format if you can if your projector can handle the input and scale accordingly. The PAL-NTSC conversion is the player will introduce unnecessary artifacts.

Besides, most of the SACD/DVD-A in these one-size-fits-all DVD players is hype. Sure they *play* the discs...but don't pretend that they really offer audiophile quality. In fact, all universal SACD/DVD-A players that I'm aware of *convert* the DSD stream from SACD to PCM prior to d/a conversion...basically screwing up the "pure" DSD sound.

if you really want SACD or DVD-A, get a dedicated player that's an audiophile-grade component. Otherwise...what's the point?

And get a decent dual PAL/NTSC (Malata) DVD player for your video chores.

-dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting.... but not really the question I posed.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Sorry about the bold-faced question...I saw the "delima" and went from there. When you mentioned the one that only had progressive NTSC I thought that meant it was going to convert PAL to NTSC for output.

If your display has DCDi then it very well may look just fine with "component" interlaced and not necessarily look any better with a progressive input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spent ages reading though links from Faroudja's site and it looks like the only difference could be that progressive output from a player means the de-interlacing was done before any D to A conversion.

Whereas the DCDi chip has to do A to D, process and then A to D again, so under close scutiny the progressive image may look slightly better than interlaced + DCDi.

So it doesnt seem worth loosing SACD/DVDA features just to get progressive. I've listened to Queen Greatest Flix in DTS and that is stunning and am hoping that (even on a compromised all-in-one player) that DVDA will sound even better.:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
My experience with DTS vs DVD-A is they are are very similar. Don't expect the same level of improvement you got moving from standard CD to DTS audio.

I have a Pioneer 733A (747?) with SACD & DVD-A. I can't really hear any difference between the two formats (I have never had same material in both to directly compare). But if you are into hifi I would recommend you look at a dual format player, as it gives you the best of both worlds and gives best choice across all the hi def audio releases. (I own approx 10 of each format & would buy even more except lack of retail options here in Australia - I have to buy via internet from US).

The Pioneer player is feeding a Sharp 9000 DLP via component. This player outputs NTSC progressive. In this combination NTSC progressive looks better than PAL interlaced (the Sharp deinterlacing is inferior).

P.S. Don't buy from DigitalEyes - they lost a US$140 package & have NEVER returned any email (6 or 7) I have sent...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I just spent ages reading though links from Faroudja's site and it looks like the only difference could be that progressive output from a player means the de-interlacing was done before any D to A conversion.

True but DCDi absolutely does it the best - at least from what I've seen. I have a Sony Progressive DVD and it can't compare to the DCDi in my X1. Basically I'm getting a new DVD player to and I won't even consider anything other than has a Faroujda DcDi chip inside. The good thing about that is if the DCDi can do such a good job after the analog conversion imagine how nice it will look if it does it all digital before turning it analog and sending it to the projector. IMO get a Faroujda DcDi chip equipped DVD player. Period. david

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that just about does it for me... given I have DCDi in my projector I wont bother limiting my choice of DVD players by hunting for one that does progessive PAL and NTSC and SACD and DVDA

Instead Ill go for something the Pioneer that does SACD and DVDA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.