AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
The iScan Pro will not accept a progressive input. What it does is redundant on the progressive output of progressive DVD players. As far as I know, all progressive DVD players will output both interlaced and progressive, but if you're not going to use it, just buy a good interlaced DVD player.

For a discussion of the de-interlacer in the iScan vs. the de-interlacer in popular progressive DVD players see this:

Secrets of Home Theater DVD Benchmark

There are many, many discussions in this forum of the merits of specific progressive DVD players. Search on 'progressive', or some of the specific models in the shootout and you should get a lot of reading material.

Welcome to the forum.

-Curtis

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Why would you want to turn off the superior picture of a Progressive Scan DVD player to use the inferior picture from the iScan Pro? Just about all the new Progressive Scan DVD players will give you a better picture (some much better picture) then your iScan Pro will, so I would get a decent Progressive Scan DVD player and use it (without the iScan Pro) and just use the iScan Pro for other sources.

And yes most new Progressive Scan players will let you turn off the Progressive Scan and go into Interlaced mode.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am in a similar yet different situation as Jeff.

Because I have a Faroudja NRS matching the resolution of my projector, it will do scaling besides de-interlacing, and the overall picture is better through NRS than go progressive straight into the projector (it should for that sort of money).

But I have a Sony DVP-9000ES which is progressive capable, so I am thinking to get a better interlaced only DVD player, so far don't seem to have any luck (I used to own a Pioneer DV-09, and it is silly to go back to that one, plus that DV-09 can not play PAL dvd).

Cam

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is that my older CRT projector is using the Iscan Pro as the scaler and video processor and switcher. I'd have to get a processor that allows me to pass the 480p signal directly thru. That is a common feature on many scalers, but no the Iscan. Financially it is not worth it for me to upgrade currently.

I ended up with the Panasonic RP56 that has switchable 480i and 480p.

So far it looks nice but I thought it had picture controls for color etc...

Thanks everyone

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.