AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I own a Pioneer DV-656a and am basically happy with it. It's connected to a Toshiba 57HX81. I audutioned a Sony DVP-NS715P before I got the Pioneer, but I want to do side-by-side comparisons.

So, I'll buy ANOTHER NS715P for my testing. I also want to include a Panasonic DVD-RPxx DVD player so I can have a chroma bug free "reference". My question: is the RP62 a "fair" competitor to the Pioneer DV-656a or is the RP82 a "better" competitor? Keep in mind the DV-656a also has DVD-Audio (which is NOT part of the testing) for UNDER $200 where the RP82 is OVER $200 (unless you use various coupons to get it for under $200).

$200 has been the "ceiling" for this test, so based on that I'm thinking the RP62 would be the more approriate machine to use for this test.

Would the RP62 make a "good" reference, at least in terms of NOT having the chroma bug or should I try to find a way to get the RP82?

Also, does anyone know of a place with a GOOD return policy that sells the RP82?

Thanks.....

Peace....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I don't think the 62 would be a good reference. The CP72 regularly sells for under $200 by all accounts (including the ubiquitous rebate), and has good video. Plus the 72 is easy to get, the 82 will take some effort. I take it you're looking at bang for the buck to some extent, so it would be disingenuous to not include the 72.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cfraser
I don't think the 62 would be a good reference. The CP72 regularly sells for under $200 by all accounts (including the ubiquitous rebate), and has good video. Plus the 72 is easy to get, the 82 will take some effort. I take it you're looking at bang for the buck to some extent, so it would be disingenuous to not include the 72.
Wow.... thanks for mentioning that! With ALL of the talk here about the CP72, I didn't even think of including that player!

I'll see about getting that one insteda of the RP82. Thanks! :)

Peace......

·
Registered
499 Posts
The Panny CP72 or RP82 will blow those other players away in progressive or interlaced mode. Please try the CP72 and I guarantee you it will never go back to the store.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hurtz777
I guarantee you it will never go back to the store.
What kind of guarantee are we talking about.... ;)

Peace.....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hurtz777
The Panny CP72 or RP82 will blow those other players away in progressive or interlaced mode. Please try the CP72 and I guarantee you it will never go back to the store.
Well, I finally got my hands on a Panasonic DVD-XP30 and found the picture to be very crisp and clear. I haven't been able to calibrate my TV with Avia (yet) but I've done some calibration work (using THX Optimode from Star Wars Episode II until I get my copy of Avia back... :)) and I must say I am impressed with two things:
  1. The progressive picture of the XP-30 is simply beautiful
  2. The Pioneer DV-656a performs much closer to the XP-30 than I would have ever guessed

I watched a scene (chap 4) from Star Wars Episode II and I could barely tell the difference between the Pioneer and the Panasonic players. I could tell an absolute difference between the Panasonic and Sony players. I also watched scenes from Born on the Fourth of July, which appears to be video sourced since the Sony basically dropped to video mode and combed SOOOO much in some scenes my hair was straightened out. :)

Again the Pioneer and Panasonic performed about "on par" with each other, with an edge going to the Panasonic.

I picked up the XP-30 on eBay for $179 (plus tax and shipping). I picked up the Pioneer back in October 2002 or so online (I forget where) for $178 (shipped). So I consider these two players to be "well matched" competitors.

If nothing else, this test has given me more of an appreciation of my Pioneer player as well as introducing me to why the Panasonics get the praise that I think they certainly deserve.

Any recommendations for DVDs to bring out the CUE? I'm going to borrow Toy Story 1/2 from a co-worker. I'll also go through some of the DVDs used in the Shootout and see how they perform on all 3 players (Pioneer, Panasonic, and Sony).

Thanks for the feedback.. :)

Peace.....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
i'd pit my panasonic cp72s against ANY dvd player out there..

hands down, HANDS DOWN

my cp72s will trump the competition

it rivals the rp82 in picture quality, clarity, all that jazz PLUS it is a 5-changer PLUS it handles cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r, dvd-rw, cd, vcd, SVCD, dvd, downloaded dvd's, custom dvd's, man..

HANDS DOWN.. CP72S = champion . ) hehehe

oh progressive too, optical audio for your receiver for optimal sound, etc etc.. man.. i can go on and on . ) bought it for $220 and if i didn't throw the cardboard box out so quickly, i'd have meself a $30 refund . (

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
doh.. ok nevermind, lol only now am i reading the original post, hehehe

for the best chroma-bug reference dvd.. go get yourself moulin rouge.. that red jacket in dvd-1 brings out the chroma bug like no other.. so much so it actually detracts from the live scenes and forget still mode.. tis an eyesore!

moulin rouge red jacket = king of chroma bug testing

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GooglyBear
for the best chroma-bug reference dvd.. go get yourself moulin rouge.. that red jacket in dvd-1 brings out the chroma bug like no other.. so much so it actually detracts from the live scenes and forget still mode.. tis an eyesore!
Thanks... I'll be sure to check out this title.

Does the CP72 support DVD-Audio?

Peace....

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
GooglyBear,

......... but, but, does your CP72 play +RW? My DVD player does -> to match the +RW burner on my PC.

That really bugs me on just about every DVD's player's specs I've ever read - the good ones say that they play every disc type under the sun but never mention being able to play +RW!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
That really bugs me on just about every DVD's player's specs I've ever read - the good ones say that they play every disc type under the sun but never mention being able to play +RW!! :mad:
On the flip side, this really surprises me as a number of DVD players will play DVD-R and other variants without having those formats listed on their specs. :)

Peace....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pete GTP
Yes the CP72 does have DVD-A but no bass management.
Thanks!

Peace...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
......... but, but, does your CP72 play +RW? My DVD player does -> to match the +RW burner on my PC.
My CP-72 played the one DVD+RW that I tested.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Do the panasonic players have any type of zoom? Presently, I have an older 36" direct view tv & a JVC dvd player. When we watch a widescreen dvd, I use the zoom to get rid of the black bars. I had heard in the past the Panasonic players did not have this feature.

·
Registered
27,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomdkat
Any recommendations for DVDs to bring out the CUE? I'm going to borrow Toy Story 1/2 from a co-worker.
The anime film Metropolis has some red-lit scenes towards the end that look like utter hell on my Toshiba. Very severe CUE.

·
Registered
27,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bnewt
Do the panasonic players have any type of zoom? Presently, I have an older 36" direct view tv & a JVC dvd player. When we watch a widescreen dvd, I use the zoom to get rid of the black bars.
The black bars are your friend. Learn to get over your prejudice against them and your life will be much better.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
GooglyBear,

pnichols: I think someone else answered your question, i guess it does support dvd+r/+rw, i myself do not have it as i am solely behind the dvd-r/-rw which is the de facto standard.. that's the reason you almost never see the + format being listed.. the + isn't proprietary, it's just capitalism at works.. the -r/-rw is the standard but they tried spinning it into the +r/+rw :D hey.. i don't want to discuss the formats since i already have made a choice which i support.. but i hope your burner is a sony bro since the sony dru supports both -/+

bnewt: yep, the cp72 has a zoom function.. i myself don't use it since i like seenig the full display.. so to speak.. hehe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.