AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there different progressive players on the market? I have a p scan player that my AE100 says is out putting at 525p. I read that one of the best DVD players the Panny RP56 is 480p. Is this true and what is the difference? Thanks

John

·
Registered
185 Posts
I purchased the Panny RP-56 for $187 and could not be happier with it. Great progressive image.

The RP-56 also has the Sage/Farudja DCDI chip set in it.

I read somewhere in the forum that the RP-56 has been discontinued.

I use this DVD player with the Sharp Z9000 projector.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If you want a DVD Player that has a sharper picture and reveals more detail than the RP-56 try the Toshiba SD-5700. I did a simultaneous A-B with with 2 copies of the DVD (Knight's Tale) with each being fed at the same time into my SE 13HD, which has two sets of component video in, and the SD-5700 clearly provided a sharper, more detailed picture. I did this test with two other people who were both very experienced in viewing a big screen and we all agreed that the Toshiba was superior. On close ups for example you could see skin imperfections with the Toshiba that just weren't there with the RP-56. The impact of switching from one player to other was to go from a sharp picture to a softer picture. Both players did a great job deinterlacing.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
185 Posts
Eckian...

How much for the Toshiba DVD player????

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm quite pleased with the RP56 (especially with the price). :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Same here. RP56. Got it, love it.

525p and 480p are not the same, at least not to some pj's. Sanyo's PLC-XP18/21/30 & PLV-60HT, as well as some other pj's, do a nice job with 480p, but go blank on 525p.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Doesn't the Tosh SD-5700 use the same video components of its cheaper little brother SD-3750. If so you can find the SD-3750 for under $200. The SD-5700 has better audio options but video wise should be identical to the SD-3750, right guys?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Regarding the comparison between the RP-56 and Toshiba 5700:

Unless the two players were both evaluated for frequency response and calibrated for sharpness, a head-to-head comparison of them for "sharpness and detail" is not going to be very revealing. It is easy to make a picture sharper, simply by boosting the high frequencies. There are lots of DVD players that are subjectively "sharper" but that are actually obscuring fine detail through excessive ringing. I am not saying that the Toshiba is one of those players at all, but it's something you have to be aware of when comparing sharpness.

The RP-56 has a small rolloff at 6.75 MHz, but not so much that it would obscure small details in the picture. Conversely, the Toshiba could be over-accentuating small details in the picture. Which is more accurate? The only way to know is to put them both on the scope. I've seen the results from the RP-56, but not from the Toshiba, so I don't know which has the flatter response.

We haven't done a full deinterlacing pass on the Toshiba, but the preliminary results are that it's very good for a flag-reading player. It appears to have motion-adaptive video deinterlacing, which is a good thing. It's still not as good as the Sage or Silicon Image deinterlacers, but significantly better than the Genesis or Mediamatics. The Toshiba does have the chroma bug, which is unfortunate.

My point here is not that the Toshiba is lousy, because it's not. From all indications, it's a very good unit except for the chroma bug issue. My point is that trying to compare two different DVD players fairly can be difficult, and the core of any evaluation should be with test patterns, not with film material.

It's just difficult for me to see people saying things like "I looked at these two players, and this one was sharper," or "that one had better colors." Sharpness is not the same as resolution, and excessive sharpness is just as bad as inadequate sharpness. More to the point, sharpness is quantifiable and adjustable. The same is true of color. If you see two DVD players with different colors, it just means one (or both) of them is wrong, and it's just as likely to be the one with the brighter colors. Again, without using a calibration disc, you have no reference point to decide which one is more accurate. And in the end, it doesn't really matter which is more accurate because color is adjustable, and is an easy calibration.

Finally, I would not describe the RP-56 as "soft" at all. As I said above, it has a small roll-off at 6.75 MHz, but it would have to be much, much more rolled off for me to call it soft.

Best,

Don

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
We haven't done a full deinterlacing pass on the Toshiba, but the preliminary results are that it's very good for a flag-reading player. It appears to have motion-adaptive video deinterlacing, which is a good thing. It's still not as good as the Sage or Silicon Image deinterlacers, but significantly better than the Genesis or Mediamatics.
Speaking of apples to apples, is that the old Mediamatics chip you're referring to, or the new one?

And then we have player features.....but that is another story

Regards,

Hank:)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
Actually you mean 13.5 MHz. ;)
Yeah, yeah, yeah. :p

Stacey is of course referring to the fact that with progressive scan, the "traditional" MHz measurements must be doubled, so the "6.75 MHz" pattern on the Avia resolution chart is actually showing the 13.5 MHz response. It's a hard habit to break.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.