AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I run my Toshiba SD-3750 Progressive scan DVD player into the component inputs of my Sony KV-34xbr800 here's the deal.

Normal Play-Progressive: Some scan-line artifacts in some moving objects

Normal Play-Interlaced: Looks fine....

Slo-Mo-Progressive: Worse scan-line artifacts

Slo-mo-Interlaced: The WORST scan-line artifacts

To me.... I call SCAN-LINE ARTIFACTS those black or missing lines on every-other line on an object that is moving. Progressive scan was made to avoid this.

It happens on IN-GAME MPEG VIDEOS when a 480p game is running on my XBOX. When I disable 480p in the control panel of the XBOX, no scan-lines! The normal DVD player mode of the XBOX is not progressive, but is when a game running in 480p wants to stream video in the game.

I never had this problem on my RCA 38-inch HDTV. Anybody else have this problem?!?!? My progressive scan DVD worked silky smooth on my RCA! When you put it in slo-mo, there was never scan-lines like there is on this set. What gives?!? My tech. is going to look at it in a couple weeks when he comes to fix that line-sweep problem we've been having. Just wanted to see if anybody with the 34xbr800 has seen this with their progressive DVD players. ---- GS kid

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GS kid
When I run my Toshiba SD-3750 Progressive scan DVD player into the component inputs of my Sony KV-34xbr800 here's the deal.

Normal Play-Progressive: Some scan- line artifacts in some moving objects

Normal Play-Interlaced: Looks fine....

Slo-Mo-Progressive: Worse scan-line artifacts

Slo-mo-Interlaced: The WORST scan-line artifacts

To me.... I call SCAN-LINE ARTIFACTS those black or missing lines on every-other line on an object that is moving.

It happens on IN-GAME MPEG VIDEOS when a 480p game is running on my XBOX. When I disable 480p in the control panel of the XBOX, no scan-lines! The normal DVD player mode of the XBOX is not progressive, but is when a game running in 480p wants to stream video in the game.

I never had this problem on my RCA 38-inch HDTV. Anybody else have this problem?!?!? My progressive scan DVD worked silky smooth on my RCA! When you put it in slo-mo, there was never scan-line like there is on this set. What gives?!? My tech. is going to look at it. Just wanted to see if anybody with this set has seen this with their progressive DVD players. ---- GS kid
I use a progressive RP-56 (Panasonic) with my KV-34XBR800, connected on one of the component ports.

I see none of what you describe above. OTOH -- I don't seem to have a Slo-Mo mode

I normally run in progressive and see no artifacts on moving objects. In fact, I see very little difference between interlaced and progressive.

Phil

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DRC is disabled when a progressive signal is sent into the component inputs. Only an interlaced signal allows DRC to be used. My problem is with the progressive signal. Besides..... I hate DRC !!! I wish that thing could be disabled altogether. Why Sony and the other companies think this improves things is beyond me. It adds 4x the information it says to get near-HD quality. Bah! I look at it this way. It's kinda like if someone said that they have this 10,000 watt audio system. If they turn the power to full but it distorts the signal, how is that an inprovement? Yes you have more power, but the sound is worse. Same with DRC. 4x the info, but 4x the noise-like artifacts on your screen. And if the input signal is bad to begin with, then it looks even worse!---- GS kid

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GS kid
DRC is disabled when a progressive signal is sent into the component inputs. Only an interlaced signal allows DRC to be used. My problem is with the progressive signal. Besides..... I hate DRC !!! I wish that thing could be disabled altogether. Why Sony and the other companies think this improves things is beyond me. It adds 4x the information it says to get near-HD quality. Bah! I look at it this way. It's kinda like if someone said that they have this 10,000 watt audio system. If they turn the power to full but it distorts the signal, how is that an inprovement? Yes you have more power, but the sound is worse. Same with DRC. 4x the info, but 4x the noise-like artifacts on your screen. And if the input signal is bad to begin with, then it looks even worse!---- GS kid
Re DRC: Play with the Palette settings.

Phil

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have read on these forums that Sony's DRC may work better than a DVD's built-in progressive scan capabilities. You may notice a better picture with interlaced because of the DRC. And the DRC can be turned off altogether on 34xbr800.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't really turn off DRC that I know of. You can just turn it down to low in the palette settings. Even then it still sucks. It still looks like garbage compared to an analog TV. Digital looks great, analog looks like squat on this set.---- GS kid

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. It doesn't really matter. The Toshiba progressive DVD players let you switch from interlaced to progressive from the remote. I tried everything!---- GS kid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.