AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there ever cracked open a 36100 to see if there is a reasonable way to convert the component inputs so they will accept progressive scan signals? I know the 36110 will work in this mode, and I was hoping the newer box just had an add-on module that I could buy from RCA's service organization to perform this function. Personally, I've had great luck over the last 1+ years with my 36100 (knock on wood), and the only disappointing thing has been the picture quality when viewing DVDs. I found out the hard way -- by buying a progressive scan DVD player -- that the component inputs won't work with such an input (so much for listening to our local AV store "experts).

BTW, I'm at home inside the guts of a TV, but I've been too lazy to pull it out of the cabinet to take a look around inside. So, this modification doesn't have to be 100% plug and play, and I'm not worried about any warranty issues.

·
Registered
754 Posts
As far as I know, there is no way to get the MM36100's component inputs to accept a progressive signal. The MM36110 uses a different chassis than the MM36100. The only way I know to get a progressive signal into the TV is through the VGA inputs. You could easily use an HTPC, or a DVDO iScan with the VGA output, and get it... but aside from that, I severely doubt it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! $1,500 for the iScan Pro, but it could be used with a low end DVD with similar results as the new progressive scan DVD.

So, are there other (less expensive) alternatives? Maybe something that does the reverse of RCA's converter box for their receiver and converts from component to RGB (I've already got the 480p signal, so it seems like a waste to make that conversion outside of the DVD player)? I know RCA's little box is selling for ~$120 around town, and I could easily live with that. Then, I'd have a few $$ left over to spring for an RGB switch box (I'm already using both of the RGB inputs on the back of the set).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.