AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a front projector unit. It was recommended that I get a line doubler for the video signal going to the projector. If I get this then is progressive scan going to benefit me much? I do not have a progressive scan DVD now.

·
Registered
27,979 Posts
Scott, for best DVD performance get a good progressive-scan DVD player like the Panasonic RP-82. The quality of the deinterlacing in that unit is usually superior to an external line doubler, at least the affordable ones.

Use an affordable line-doubler like the IScan for your non-DVD sources. Your projector will have its own deinterlacer built in, so you could get away without a line-doubler at all if the quality of television and other video sources doesn't matter to you much. If it does matter, get the IScan.

The cost of the RP-82 and an IScan v2 will run you about $600 together, which is pretty reasonable for front projection needs, and then you will have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I have heard about the IScan and planned on getting one so I can just run 1 set of video cables to the projector w improved quality. I will look into the DVD player as well. We need one that will play back SVCD and the cheap DVD decks seem to do that function better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.