Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am about to buy my dream home cinema system which will be headed by the latest 42" Panny.

I have read in a review that using a DVD player with Progressive Scanning with the Panny does not add anything to PQ and may even detract from it.:confused:

So before I go and spend all my spare money on a Progressive Scan DVD I would like to hear about some Panny owners experiences with this.

Thanks

Reaps

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have been using a good, but non-progressive Sony DVD player for about a year, and the PQ on good discs via the component input is surprisingly close to what I see on HD broadcasts. Someday, I'd like to borrow a Panny RP-91, just to see if there is a difference, but it's not a priority.

Also, going to a progressive player means that flexibilty with display formats would get more complicated. The Panny only gives you "Full" or "Zoom" modes with a progressive input. If you wanted to watch a 4:3 movie in "Normal" or "Just" you'd have to switch off the progressive output at the player.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Reaps,

I wouldn't go as far as saying "it detracts from it". It doesn't give you the same sort of stellar upgrade, that you might be expecting, that's all.

As Spoffo says, you also need a progressive player that gives you aspect ratio control, since you lose that ability on the plasma when the player is set to progressive mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses,

One more question, if you were in my situation would you go for a Progressive Scan Dvd or not? (I'm looking at getting the denon a/v f100 kit in which the dvd is not progressive scan)

Thanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Reaps,

One of the advantages of the Panasonic is that it handles a wide variety of different source material very well. If you don't already own a dvd player than consider going progressive. If check the dvd hardware section of the forum you will find endless reviews of many of the current models...including the RP-91 which may meet your requirements.

I'm using a Sony interlaced player connected with a quality RCA/BNC cable and getting very good results. If you already have a player than see how that works first!

H

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 42" Panasonic and teh RP-91. I prefer the picture without progressive scan on. It is a very very subtle difference, but to my eyes, the picture with Progressive scan on is a bit sharper but that sharpness makes it look a little harsher. But like I said, the difference between prog. on and off is subtle.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
mokeefe,

Do you know which firmware version your RP-91 is running? My firmware is version 236, and I'm wondering if this is part of the explanation for how my RP-91 is operating....

When I switch between the progressive and interlaced output of my RP-91 the picture changes drastically. You can choose between two black level outputs on the RP-91 -"lighter" or "darker." It seems my RP-91's progressive output is defaulted to "darker" and the interlaced to "lighter."

(Thus, the picture on progressive is significantly darker, richer looking than the interlaced picture).

Rich H.

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
mokeefe,

When I switch between the progressive and interlaced output of my RP-91 the picture changes drastically. You can choose between two black level outputs on the RP-91 -"lighter" or "darker."

Rich H.
Rich,

You can change the picture settings on the 91 to virtually anything you want by going into the extensive PQ settings menu. You can make both look essentially the same from a "light" "dark" standpoint as well as hue etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't fiddled the controls too much so I would go with what other guys stated and look at adjusting yours. Can't remember what settings I had changed that might help you.

Good luck.

Addendum: My firmware is the latest that was posted on the DVD board months ago, however, the number now escapes me.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have the 42" Panny and Panasonic dvd rp-56. I prefer the progressive output to the interlaced quite a bit. We all agree that the image will be sharper when progressive, and I just happen to prefer that. Also, on scenes with lots of motion the TV just doesn't do the same job with deinterlacing as the DVD player, in my opinion. On scenes with very little movement I think the TV does quite a good job, and the gains from progressive scan are not as substantial. But I have never run into a situation where I preffered having the TV line doubler vs going progressive right out of the player.

The dvd rp-56 has a very good doubler, so maybe that's the reason. I wouldn't doubt the the TVs scaler could outperform some poor DVD line doublers. Although, I would think that the rp91 would definately be good enough, so I can't explain why the interlaced feed from it would look better. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Panny 42" and a toshiba sd9200 prog player. the progressive output on it is miles better than the interlace. My toshiba player simply does a much better job than the panny will ever do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.