AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in my interpretation of a review I read on the plasma guide internet site that the panny pt-42pd3p has progressive scan built in which allows a nonprogressive scan dvd player to get better results than trying to use a progressive scan model which is unnecessary overkill?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Hi! You might want to check out these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=1525765

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=1475766

There's generally a lot of debate on this topic. For the Panasonic plasmas, some people say progressive is better, some say interlaced is better, some can't see any difference. I've discovered I actually prefer the interlaced output from my Panasonic RV31 to the progressive (or interlaced) output on my JVC S500 on my 4UY, but in my case, it might just be due to the differences in the DVD players themselves. I've actually swapped them around a couple of times in the last few of weeks to compare them (since only one can use the component input) and I've decided to keep using my older RV31 for most of my DVD viewing.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,Sounds like I will just keep my interlaced toshiba dvd player and see how it responds to a panasonic plasma.I have been using the dvd player with a 32 wega xbr and the picture was fine until I saw a plasma unit in best Buy and then i started to loose sleep.I still have not made the panasonic pt-42pd3p purchase.Its just the lack of speakers and a tuner that is holding me back in the hope that future models offer this.How is your panny and if you had it to do over would you make the same purchase again?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like I will just keep my interlaced toshiba dvd player and see how it responds to a panasonic plasma.
Yeah, just try it out first to see how you like it, you can always upgrade it later.
Quote:
I have been using the dvd player with a 32 wega xbr and the picture was fine until I saw a plasma unit in best Buy and then i started to loose sleep.
That happens :)... instead of losing sleep, just try to dream of your future plasma!

Quote:
I still have not made the panasonic pt-42pd3p purchase.Its just the lack of speakers and a tuner that is holding me back in the hope that future models offer this.
You can get speakers for this model that clip onto the sides (kinda pricy though, they were $600 and they didn't sound good enough to justify the extra cost). I'm just using my stereo (a lot of us here are) and it works great.

I don't know I'd worry to much about the tuner. You can always use your VCR if you don't have a cable or satellite set top box. If you haven't yet, you might want to take a look at the FAQ (linked off my sig). It goes into some tuner options.

Quote:
How is your panny and if you had it to do over would you make the same purchase again?
Love it! I've had the 4UY for about 7 or so months now. The only downside is the lack of inputs (1 component, 1 shared s-video/composite, 1 vga). I have an A/V switcher for my s-video sources (I have 4). At some point I'll probably also need to get a component switcher. It's all worth it though and I'd buy this plasma again in a second.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im a real pest today but Im sure you know how it is when a plasma in your head.Since you are an owner did you do any professional calibration after you got your unit or use one of those video essential dvds to do it yourself or were you able to just adjust the settings available to your own viewing preferences?I use a sony 32xbr wega and Ive never been very happy with the settings from the factory.Did you ever have any experience with a video essentials dvd and if you have could you tell me how you use it?Do you just use the remote to set levels or do you have to go into those hidden service manual settings I hear so much about.I have no idea how one gets into those.Well thanks again.Tomorrow Im going to spend a lot of my day at best buy and tweeter looking at plasma and getting anxious.By the way your profile photo is very flattering.Its a breath of fresh air to find a woman interested in high tech toys since many of the men in the forum seem to be trying to go around their significant others to get themselves a plasma and still stay married. have a great holday

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have the same TV as Deeann and I concur with all of her opinions. I'd also buy it again - in a heartbeat.

With Avia and VE you just set the main controls using the remote... (Picture, Brightness, Color, Tint, Sharpness) The ISF calibration requires the hidden menus, but that's beyond the scope of the Avia discs. With regards to using them, they are basically tutorial discs. For each setting, it explains the test pattern that is used for the adjustment, and also how to use the pattern to make the correct adjustment. Don't worry about using the discs, they are pretty easy. (I've only used Avia personally, but I'm sure they are both similar)

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Like Felgar, I've used Avia and it worked out really well (I can't justify the cost of professional calibration). In most cases you shouldn't need to go into the service menus. There *might* be times you'd want to adjust the advanced user menus if you need to do color correction (I had to go in there to compensate for green push from my digital cable source, but that's source related and an anomoly).

Thanks for the compliment! Though the womenfolk are the minority here, we can be just as geeky as the guys :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deeann
Hi! You might want to check out these threads:

some people say progressive is better, some say interlaced is better, some can't see any difference. I've discovered I actually prefer the interlaced
just my personal experience: I can't see the diff of prog or interlaced out of a Pioneer 47; but I can see a big diff on a Philips Q50's prog and interlaced. The Q50's prog out is much better.

So I guess it depends on your dvdp.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Speaking of progressive sources, Xbox and GameCube games running in progressive look night and day better than they do on svideo (at least on a 42" panny hd)--even my PQ-blind brother can see the difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.