AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my Sharp 55" 4H, and my DVD's look great with a Sony DVD player. However, I have heard rave reviews of Progressive scan DVD players and I was wondering if the Pro scan players look that much better on the 4H due to the 4H's line doubler...I was going to purchase the Toshiba SD5700 and while the $230 price tag is a good deal, I would spend my money elsewhere if I knew that the reputed "great line doubler" on the 4H rendered a pro scan player redundant...Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same TV and have tried 3 different DVD players: an old Sony interlaced player, a JVC (62SL something or another) progressive scan player and a Denon 1600.

I started with the old interlaced Sony and it looked great. But, much like you, I got the bug to see if I could get a better picture and tried the JVC (onsale for 185.00 at the time). The JVC looked horrible... very grainy and not very clear. I played with all the settings (film vs. auto vs. video), and even tested the JVC against the Sony with the same scene of a DVD to see if I was making a mistake somewhere. Not only was the picture worse but it had trouble playing some chapters of my DVDs (aparently this is not uncommon with a lot of DVD players).

So I returned the JVC and decided to wait for something else to come on the market as I was interested in DVD-Audio as well. I came across a description of the Denon 1600 and decided to give it a whirl. While the picture isn't much better than the Sony, I think it is better. The sound is much better and even more so with a good DVD-Audio disc. Oh, and the Denon had not had one problem playing a chapter of any of my DVDs.

Anyway, I think the TV's line doubler makes most of the progressive claims rather pointless, but I can recommend the Denon 1600.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.