AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity today to audition a Pioneer DV-737, a Denon DVD-2800 and an iScan Plus V.2. I've got my LT150 currently hooked up to an interlaced DVD player (via S-video)...and I was curious as to how much of an improvement I will see with a 480P upgrade. I went to the AV Shop with a couple of DVDs for testing and here's what I saw (note: The Pioneer and the Denon were connected to a Toshiba RPTV and the iScan to a Sony player & Proxima XGA DLP Projector):

1. Super Speedway (Chapter 7 bleachers scene): no moire effects on bleachers for all units. Very Good.

2. Titanic (start of Chapter 8 with man and child on ship's railings): jaggies on railings were minimized on the Pioneer and the Denon; eliminated on the iScan V.2.

3. Video Essentials (Chapter 15-7 Video Test Material):

a. Zoom-in on tree (00m:48s): video noise (crawlies?) was still very apparent for all units just like in the interlaced S-video feed.

b. Waving American Flag (02m:43s): jaggies and stairsteeping on the flag are very noticeable just like in S-video feed.

c. Amish boy ascending escalator (03m:58s): jaggies noticeable on boy’s hat thru S-video. Barely noticeable in the Pioneer & Denon. No jaggies in iScan.

d. White line on side of road (04m:42s): stairstepping of the white line very noticeable both on the S-video feed and the progressive scan / iScan feed.

I was of the assumption that using a progressive scan player or an iScan would eliminate the jaggies and the crawlies normally associated with interlaced signals (i.e., S-video). How come these were still evident in the Video Essentials test material? Did I assume wrong? Or are my expectations just too high for these equipment?

If you get to test these same scenes on your iScan or your progressive scan players (particularly the Video Essentials Video Montage), please let me know how the images looked like on your set-up and if these crawlies/jaggies were also present. I wasn’t sure which scenes to use to test for combing…if you know of any, please let me know.

Any comments on these observations are most welcome.

Cheers,

Sonny

·
Premium Member
25,005 Posts
"Did I assume wrong? Or are my expectations just too high for these equipment?"

Yes and yes. I made the same mistake in expectations.

Even if the material is recorded progressively and reproduced perfectly, the pixels are too big to make a smooth looking diagonal line. In other words, there just isn't enough resolution.

This where a good scaler can subjectively increase resolution, by doing a good job of interpolation and smoothing out the jaggies.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noah,

Thanks for your input. I actually feel that my current set-up is fine (at least by my standards). Apart from a few specific scenes from some DVDs where crawlies, jaggies, etc. are evident, the image is quite awesome even through the s-video, especially for well mastered anamorphic DVDs.

It's just that I was contemplating an upgrade to 480P and was seriously considering an iScan. I was sort of expecting significant improvements in image quality but was kinda disappointed when I still saw the problems despite the iScan conversion.

I'm still wondering though how the Video Essentials material look like through other members' set-ups that use the iScan for the LT150. It would be nice if others could chime in.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm eagerly following your progress since I too am interested in making the jump to either a progressive player or an iScan unit.

I'm actually very happy with a simple S-Video connection.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don,

I'm also quite happy with my s-video connection (at least by my standards) but I couldn't resist it and ordered an iScan Plus V.2 anyway.

Once I receive it, I'll do some more comparison tests using other mainstream DVDs...maybe the Video Essentials disc is too demanding and not really representative of the jaggies and crawlies found in most DVDs.

I'll let you know how it turns out and how much of an improvement the iScan will bring.

Cheers,

- Sonny B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.