AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase my HT and am looking at the 56H80. I have read great reviews about the Toshiba 6200, and how good it looks with a HDTV. But, the guys at the local specialty shops say it is unnecessary. That the progressive player is doing what the set already can. I am a little confused.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The guys at the shops are semi-correct. Yes, the 56H80 is doing the same thing as the 6200. The question is: does it do it as well and how critical are you?

I have a Pioneer PRO710, which arguably has the best doubler available in an RPTV, connected to a Tosh 5109 (the 6200's predecessor). The 710's doubler is very good with the 5109's component outputs, but I think the picture from the 5109's progressive outputs (which disables the Pioneer's doubler) is sharper, with far fewer motion artifacts.

I'm sure you will be pleased with the 56H80's picture with its internal doubler, but if you are a critical viewer you may like the 6200 better.

[This message has been edited by drbaldinger (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Be sure to check out whatever video sources you will use for your normal television viewing. (DSS, Cable, OTA) You may find that you need a scaler that will accomodate all of the inputs and function better than the one built into yor television.

The party line on progressive DVD players is that they avoid one complete analog to digital to analog sequence that takes place in a line doubler, either internal or external to the television. I believe that the doubling process in the progresive DVD player, other than this feature, is much the same as in separate units and can vary in quality.

The bottom line is simply to annoy the store and demand lots of sampling. Spend an hour checking out how the thing actually looks with what you want to watch. Art

·
Registered
504 Posts
Progressive scan will always give you a superior picture to a hd ready sets internal line doubler evan if the internal line doubler does a 3.2 pull down..

With progressive scan the 3.2 pulldown is accomplished in the digital domain using the frame flags encoded in the dvd's mpeg bitstream..

Advantages of progressive conversion

Line doublers are used in other high-end home entertainment systems to provide progressive scanning. These may be stand-alone devices or incorporated into a digital TV. Impressive as they may be, DVD in-player progressive conversion has three big advantages over line doublers:

1) High precision and stability

A DVD-Video disc mastered from a film holds all the data necessary to produce an accurate progressive image, whereas an external line doubler must take hints from the video source to determine the source material and frame allocation.

2) All-digital conversion minimizes signal degradation

Since the signal from the DVD-Video disc is digital, progressive conversion can be performed digitally inside the player. Signal quality is protected until it leaves the player's analog output. In contrast, a stand-alone or in-TV doubler first receives information from the analog output of the source device then converts this analog signal back to digital for processing. Finally, it must translate the signal back to analog before outputting it. All this back-and-forth translation is much more likely to degrade the signal.

3) Processing is optimized to DVD-Video's high image quality

Line doublers built into digital TV sets are designed to work with a variety of video sources, so their settings are not necessarily ideal for DVD-Video. Progressive conversion is optimized for the high resolution and low noise of the DVD-Video format. This enables the unit to preserve DVD-Video picture quality for display on all screen sizes, from direct-view CRT to projectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.