AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic LCD Projector (2500 Lumens) it seems to have progressive scan, as in setup it states 480p, I assume this means it has Progressive scan, as I do not have the manual for it (Lost in move). But when I set my DVD player (Sony Progressive scan) to progressive, I get a jittery picture which is not viewable ? I have to set to interlacing, in order to get a viewable picture ?? Why is this ? with the interlacing setting, I am not getting the benifits of progressive scan, am I ? I should add that the DVD player (along with Sattelite Sys & VCR) is connected to a line doubler (iScanPro) then to projector via a RGB cable, I have iScanPro set too YPbPr and the projector is also set too YPbPr.

Could this problem have anything to do with Aspect Ratio settings ??

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think your problem is that the IScan won't accept a progressive signal, only interlaced. Does your projector have two inputs? If it does run the IScan into one, and go straight from the dvd player to the projector with the other one.

Tim

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Wrongdude, you've got it wrong, dude. Just kidding, I couldn't resist. You should NOT run progressive player through Iscan as it's already progressive. Iscan turns interlaced sources to progressive by doubling its scan rate. Thus, you must buy a VGA-->component breakout cable and hook the component end to your DVD player and VGA end into the RGB connector of projector. Some projector has component inputs but I don't think yours does so special cable is needed ($35 to several hundred $ depending on brand, quality, and length). You then have to set your projector to recognize component in its menu setting. Iscan can be used for VCR, cable, satellite, camcorder, or interlaced DVD player, but NOT progressive sources (PC, progressive players, RCA-DTC100 or other HD receivers).

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but If I run DVD straight to Projector using VGA, I will not have a input for my iScanPro ? Does anyone have more Ideas ? I can email pic of inputs if needed ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there some kind of A/B switch I can use, to switch between when I want to use DVD player ? Can I use same kind of switch that is used to have two computers work of one monitor ?

Also, I am using VGA cablt but have projector set to YBpBpr & iScanPro set to YBpBpr also... I seem to get better picture this way ...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yes you can use the same type of switchbox. Keep in mind though that the quality from brand and make varies. Make sure you can exchange it for a better one if you get picture degradationl. The other alternative is HT switches - but those are usually quite expensive.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you recommend a brand ? Can someone recommend a high qaulity switch that I can run two VGA cables into, and one VGA output. It must accept progressive scan video, and output progressive scan also ... THNX! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wrongdude (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Belkin KVM brand is cheap and adequate for HT uses ($100). Other brands tend to run over that.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It might be best if you run an interlaced signal from DVD to

iScan.

The signal that comes out of the decoders in the DVD player

is interlaced - a progressive DVD player has its own

built-in line doubler to de-interlace the signal and

convert it to progressive.

Now if you have an outboard line doubler like the iScan -

it's probably a better de-interlacer than the one in the

DVD player.

So for both convenience and better picture - let the

iScan do both the line doubling and input switching.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.